Why I Don`t Do a Food Blog
Don`t get me wrong. I am captivated by short videos demonstrating easy ways to prepare delicious looking food. I find myself clicking onto websites that promise that I will become a candidate on "BEST CHEF E.V.E.R."
But when it comes right down to it, I don't have the attention span to produce the same end result.
"Their" kitchens never look messy while they prepare the food.
"Their" kitchens never look messy while they prepare the food.
Mine, looks like a tornado tore through the back door, and didn't stop until it it took the whole neighbourhood with it.
"Their" ingredients always look fresh.
Mine have to be stacked "just so" because otherwise, the product, which otherwise would be its way to product heaven, might be too distracting in the ingredients photo.
Case in point:
Manuela`s blogpost looked like this: and I was
I thought. "Hey, the girls and I are getting together for dinner this week, and I said I'd bring dessert. This looks easy enough. I am going to try it."
It might have been wise to think it through a bit more. There are certain perils of trying out a new recipe on friends - but I so very rarely do anything like this for my family, it didn't occur to me to have a practice run. That MIGHT have been a GOOD idea.
I ran to the store one day on my way back from a whole whack of other things I had on my schedule and got the ingredients that I didn't already have on hand.
It wasn't pure apricot but I figured that would be ok. I should have looked more closely at the recipe because phyllo dough is NOT the same as puff pastry. One is for one type of exotic baking, and one is for the other. The apricot spread didn't have 'any added sugar'. This fact stopped the apples from adhering to the dough properly. [or it might have just been the WRONG dough]
This was definitely not that.
By the time I figured out these mistakes, it was too late to go back to the store for the right things. I had to 'bake and trust my luck' - somewhat like the fella in the song who was trying to get away from the bear and the nearest branch was 10 feet up and had to jump and trust his luck.
I thought I had enough apples - but only found two. Good job the recipe called for them to be peeled - otherwise I would have had to designate them as pig food since as another old song says `the roses all had left their cheeks`. At first, I tried putting them into the dough without cooking them, but quickly realized that they needed to be soft and pliable. Putting the apples into the microwave for 3 minutes didn't do it. I had to leave them in there for several more to achieve the desired effect.
Another true confession: I added too much cinnamon to roses #1 - #3 . I decided not to tell the 'recipients' about the faux pas. Hopefully they would like cinnamon. A. L. O. T.
I filled two muffin tins with parchment paper muffin cups. I put away 18 of them, when I saw how few my recipe was going to make. Good job it was a going to be a small group at the party.
Although I felt that my efforts would fool the eyes, I was certain that the "proof of the pudding" was not going to be that successful. I decided to take the whole bucket of ice cream to accompany the rose desserts. My friends were going to need it to distract them from what was about to come their way.
The desserts plated up nicely. What the picture doesn't show is the dinner guests gnawing at the roses - the pastry was just too tough. It wasn't pretty. And that....
Is Why I Don`t Do Food Blog.







Comments
However, it is a great idea.
And You DID do a food blog by sharing your own process, both the food prep, and your own planning and execution. And your mistakes.
He who learneth not from his mistakes is not a student. (Old chinese proverb I just made up)
I think this is a fantastic idea.
And am going to try it sometime. Would never have known about it if you hadn't written.
thanks...