Nose Blind

I came home from work, made supper and then went to a card-making class.  It was hard work. I enjoyed learning this new skill,  but found the evening taxed my brain.  By the time I went home, I had a bit of a headache.  To make matters worse, when I arrived home, I smelled something 'off'. It smelled like cat pee.  I kept trying to find the source and couldn't pin point anything.  I emptied the garbage, put laundry into the machine, washed down the sink.  Still I couldn't find the reason why it smelled so bad.  My headache persisted, so I waved the white flag and went to bed.

All night long, I tossed and turned, trying to sleep.  I did manage to get some rest, but no relief for my headache came.  I tried taking medication.  I tried putting a magic bag on my head.  Nothing really helped.

When morning finally came, I decided to make a cup of coffee and see if that might do the trick. The smell of cat pee not only lasted all night long, it seemed to have gotten stronger. And I was no closer to finding the source.

So I took the coffee thermos with me and stumbled off to work.  I definitely was not looking forward to trying to be productive with the headache raging.  Miraculously, the coffee kicked in and by the middle of the morning, my headache had receded to the point where I could cope with life again.

Just before I went for lunch, my husband called me on my cell phone.  He reported that he had found the source of the smell.  "Oh good" I said.  "What was it?"  He told me he had gone home unexpectedly at lunch to grab some office supplies and when he entered the house, the cat pee smell had changed into a full blown 'rotten egg' smell.  He discovered a gas burner had been left on at a very low level.  I had turned it off but had not got the knob in the absolute off position.

I thanked him very much for the information.  And about 20 minutes later, I realized how close we had come to a very different outcome.  Had a spark from anything caught, had we lit a candle, or anything else ................

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom