Frog in a Pot




I started with the door wreath.  It was in the middle of November.

I have been saving it since I got it at a such a good price at the end of last year.  All summer, I looked at the bag it came in, silently count the days til I could take it out and put it up in celebration.     

My husband wondered why I put it on the inside of the door.  I told him it was so that I could see it. [It also means that I don't have to go outside to rescue it when the winter winds blow]    Can I just say, it gives me great pleasure to walk down the hallway and see the wreath hanging there as a harbinger of all that Christmas means.
 
 
 
 
Closer to the end of November, I told my him that the decorations would be like putting a frog in water and setting it to 'boil'.  He wouldn't notice too much at first, but eventually, he would clue in that we are now fast and furious into the Christmas season. 
For example, he used the washroom and "TA DA"! There was a snowman soap dispenser waiting for him.  
 
He wasn't around when I bought my new Christmas carol arrangement book.  Or when I began practicing.  One day, I will just surprise him by playing him a tune.  Or not.  No matter, I have been having a fine time playing along with the CD that was attached to the book.  I am learning a little more about jazz arrangements and love the spin that the composer put on the songs. 
 
I even had fun making this cupcake holder into a Christmas tree of sorts.  It all came of cleaning up a project that my #2 son had worked on in the summer - where he left all the ornaments in a big pile.  For a while, I displayed them on the table outside, but last week's windstorm convinced me to bring it inside and now, it decorates the coffee table.  It makes me feel very Avant-garde.
 
 
I find myself looking around, planning little touches of Christmas - maybe a single poinsettia stem in my Mom's cream and sugar she got for her wedding.  I might even buy some stocking holders and put one up for me and one for my husband.  Now that we are empty-nesters, I can put good chocolate in them!  I might even add a few pieces to the large vase display of fall foliage.  Lights?!  Great idea.
 
Happily, December has officially arrived. 
 
It's time
to put the frog in,
and get the water boiling..........
Let the decorating begin.
 

Comments

Anonymous said…
You have me inspired! Thank you!
JC

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom