Giving Thanks --2014 Style


I have decided that of all the holidays of the year,  Thanksgiving is one of my very favourites.
This year was no exception.  I love the opportunity to pay attention to all the things that I enjoy and to say 'thank you' for them.  Here are a few taken from the pages of my life:

*******One day, not too long ago, I was early enough that I decided to stop for a coffee and a muffin on my way to work.  The man in front of me took a little longer to pay for his order. I saw him reach out and give some more change to the lady at the till.  When I reached the window, she said to me "Your order has been paid for by the gentleman ahead of you...Have a nice day".  It certainly was!  Nothing spoiled my mood.  I had to stop for a train after that, but suddenly, it just didn't matter.  The kindness of a stranger coloured my day with a rainbow of goodness.



*******I planned a Thanksgiving service for each of the places where I work.  I found readings and hymns and put them in a program.  There were lines from each that stood out to me.  In one line of the lyrics of  the "Thanksgiving Song" by Mary Chapin Carpenter:

"Grateful for what's understood, and all that is forgiven".  

In an article I found called "Whine Country" by Phil Callaway:

"My grumbling had been the death of my thanksgiving", and  "...give thanks for each and every blessing while we hold it in our hand"

Both of these spoke to me about the need to keep gratitude alive, to treasure the gifts of each day, and to say thank you for forgiveness.

******A friend of mine casually said "If you want to come and get some flowers for Thanksgiving, feel free to drop by".  She has a vast array of dahlias. They come in all shapes, colours, and sizes.  I took advantage of the opportunity and spent a happy 3/4 of an hour in her little slice of heaven.  I filled a bucket that I had brought with very little effort.  It was a little like picking berries "Oh, look at that one!  It's gorgeous.  It will be perfect!" (press REPEAT).  On the way home, I called our neighbour, who has a pumpkin patch and asked how much he charged per punkin.  He told me I could take some for free!  Bonus!
I stopped along the side of the road and collected some cat's tails and some straw-like  I spent another delicious couple of hours creating punkin patch florals and my husband and I delivered three of them to some very happy neighbours and family members.  And then, just for good measure, I texted and emailed pictures of them  in a 'virtual bouquet' to others that I love, to let them know I was thankful for them.  Fun for a buck or less!

***********One of the 'intangibles' for which I have been so thankful this year, especially, is the gift of encouragement.  I could roll out a long list of people who have come alongside of me on many occasions to lend me a listening ear  and a shoulder to cry on.  I have shared laughter with friends as we have walked (and dined) together.  I have had people drop by with flowers.  I have had love notes mailed to me (how nice it is to receive snail mail that isn't a bill!).




 I am truly blessed.  And thankful.















Comments

Anonymous said…
Way to exercise your gratitude nuscle!

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom