The More you Have, the Longer you Live

Yesterday was my birthday.  I love my birthday.

I really should date these statements.  I wrote that sentence  a year ago.  And it has sat in my 'drafts' post box ever since.  Every time I look in the 'drafts', I see it and wonder if I should finish it.    But then I get distracted and close it up for another day.  Well, today is another day.  I will finish it, because yesterday WAS my birthday.  And I do love my birthday!

I don't remember all the birthdays that I have had.  However I do have a sampling of some memorable ones.  Here they are in no particular order:
  • My fifth birthday, when my brother made me a play house out of a big cardboard box, complete with curtains - and surprised me with it when I woke up that day
  • The year my sister made me a set of birthday scrolls - each wrapped with a little golden ring, with memories of our growing years and beyond inscribed and drawings of us on them.
  • The year a girlfriend invited others to write a sentence or two about attributes they saw in me and the set of rocks on which she inscribed those characteristics.  I have them on my dresser in a pretty little vase that my sister gave me and am encouraged every time I look at them.
  • The year my husband gave me a cooler - my birthday happens to be right around the time of the local air show and he thought I might like a cooler so he could enjoy cold drinks as he watched the airplanes do their tricks.
  • Another year when he splurged and gave me a gold heart-shaped pendant and earrings with my birthstone.
  • My 30th birthday when friends gathered at a local dessert place and feted me.  I still have one of the dish towels I was given on this occasion [and yes, I have used it].
  • The year my daughter gave me this gal - she wanted to replace a couple of other 'babies' [also birthday gifts] that the dog had destroyed in his puppyhood - unfortunately he destroyed some of this little one too, but if you hide her feet in the soil, you can hardly tell.  

  • The birthday card from my Dad on my first birthday after my mom died.  It was very poignant that it arrived right on my birthday.
  • The surprise party my mother-in-law threw for me the year my mom died.  I was so touched at the thoughtfulness of this gesture, but I didn't do a very good job of managing my emotions.  I looked out the living room window to see a line of women who had invested themselves in my life, walking down my driveway carrying presents and food, and I was overcome.   I ran to the bathroom and furiously cleaned it, while trying to compose myself.  I finally came out, and they called out "Surprise" and I burst into tears and ran back into the bathroom.  My sink has never been so clean.  Finally I heard one sage say "Do you think she is ever going to come out of there?" and that helped me pull myself together enough to join the party.
  • Birthdays at camp - with all the campers and staff singing happy birthday to me.  I spent a lot of birthdays at camp.  That's a lot of Happy Birthday songs!
  • My 40th birthday party that the gals at work threw for me - they made it an                   Oscar party, complete with red carpet and ceremony and presented me with at least 8 "Oscars" that night - individualized to reflect my life and times.  The crowning glory was a cake that had my picture on it - only they had Photoshopped my head onto a very thin actress' body, who was holding an Oscar.  One look at it and I exclaimed "That 's the body I've always wanted!"
  • My 21st birthday lunch which my parents threw for me just before  they left me behind in this province to start my college years.  They picked a restaurant in town and there were about 15 of us around the table.  We sang The Doxology instead of saying grace.  This was the first time my future brother-in-law had met me and my parents. I thought he was going to sink through the floor in embarrassment that we were singing in a restaurant.  Oh, if he only knew!!
  • My tenth birthday when I was allowed to go to my neighbour's house and swim after dark on that day.  Such extravagance!
  • Specially chosen cards from my mom which arrived on my actual birthday.
  • A recipe book that she inscribed in her own handwriting.
  • Birthdays where I took the kids to the beach and hung out just because it was my birthday and I could.
  • My birthday yesterday, when I had well wishes from all sorts of people, a high tea luncheon with a friend, dinner out with my husband, and best of all, I heard from each of my kids.  

Yup.  I love my birthday.

Comments

C said…
Tears...
Cheers...
Love what your heart looks like.
Richness in the multiplicity of little things that matter, that mean...

thank you for the delicious glimpses. We got to enjoy your BIRTHDAY CAKE with you.

xoxo

C

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom