Deal-eee-oh's
Some of you who read my blog on a regular basis know I love a garage sale. I haven't done too much of it in the past several years, because Pancake Breakfast generally takes precedence. However, in the last few weeks, I have been out several times.
The first time was the day our # 1 son left to fly away for an out-of-town job. It was a very hard day for me. I tried my hardest to put on my big girl panties and not cry too much. I took four kleenex with me, and told myself that when I had used them all up, I had to move on. It didn't work that well, but I got some great deals at the garage sales my husband took me to, in a desperate effort to distract me from my sorrow. I mean, who can resist a 40-ish-ish woman with red-rimmed eyes and a drippy nose offering 25 cents for the vase on the garage sale table?
When I asked what the gentleman wanted for it,
The first time was the day our # 1 son left to fly away for an out-of-town job. It was a very hard day for me. I tried my hardest to put on my big girl panties and not cry too much. I took four kleenex with me, and told myself that when I had used them all up, I had to move on. It didn't work that well, but I got some great deals at the garage sales my husband took me to, in a desperate effort to distract me from my sorrow. I mean, who can resist a 40-ish-ish woman with red-rimmed eyes and a drippy nose offering 25 cents for the vase on the garage sale table?
I didn't go for a couple more weeks. Other things came in between me and the 'deal of the century'. One was a weekend getaway that my husband and I enjoyed.
We suffered through this view out our hotel window. It was tough, but someone had to do it.
We did get to one garage sale, but didn't find anything.
We did however get a free miniature sunflower each, courtesy of the local "Communities in Bloom" who had planted 200 plants in the spring to give away once summer was in full swing.
We did however get a free miniature sunflower each, courtesy of the local "Communities in Bloom" who had planted 200 plants in the spring to give away once summer was in full swing.
It was a couple more weeks before I was able to do the G.S. circuit.
No one wanted to come with me. Sometimes that is a lonely place to be, but on this day, I was happy to be by myself and zippity-do dah around town. It was raining just a little (at times) and I had started out late - it was about 1 hour before the die-hard garage sale-ors would decide to shut their tables down, so I felt sure I would find some good deals.
I did.
I found a zippity-do-dah vacuum. That 's the beauty of garage saleing. You never know what you are looking for until you see it. Vacuuming the downstairs had become an issue for me. Much as I like my other vacuum, I found myself lacking motivation to grab it and drag it downstairs and then lug it back upstairs when I was done.
I had been looking on C/L for one but the pricing was out of my range. I didn't NEED a vacuum. I just WANTED another one and didn't want to pay too much for the luxury of grab-and-go.
This vacuum seemed to be in good shape. Small but powerful. They said they had just bought it a year ago. After a quick demonstration of the product and finding out the only reason they were getting rid of the it was that they had a built-in option now, I decided the vacuum would do very well at The Pokeaway.
I had previously decided my price limit was $24.78 with room for some bargaining either way.
I had previously decided my price limit was $24.78 with room for some bargaining either way.
When I asked what the gentleman wanted for it,
he said "I originally thought 25$ but I can let it go for 15$".
SOLD to the lady in the red truck.
It was such a great deal, I didn't feel the need to go to any more garage sales.
I tucked my prize into the back seat and drove straight home.
I couldn't wait to try out my 15$ vacuum.
(p.s. - I checked out the list price for this vacuum and it turns out I save 95% off the regular price)
Oh how I love a Deal-EE- OH!



Comments