RRRRant
A few months ago, I was listening to a radio program and heard that overused phrase: "At the end of the day". A.g.a.i.n. As in: "At the end of the day, the hockey team just has to win more games to get into cup play". and "At the end of the day, we know that people will never stop using overused phrases".
I've added it to my pet peeves about the way people use the English language, along with "There's a disconnect". I plan to charge a dollar to everyone who says either of these phrases from now on. I may become a millionaire.
I recognize that we treat English in a much more casual manner than when I was growing up. Spelling, and the correct placement of nouns and verbs has become much less important in this era of I.M.(Instant Messaging). We are all in a hurry and have the need for speed. But when I read " I relly want to believe that UR smrtr than me" it makes me want to scrape my fingernails down the nearest blackboard.
I dare not stand in any ivory tower. I, myself, have fallen prey to the misuse of said language. I don't alwys edit my work accurately, and know there are sentences which are incorrect, when I press "PUBLISH". I shouldn't be throwing stones from my glass house. But I do.

But, p.s.: Just because it's becoming the norm, I will never be comfortable saying that my son graduated high school. I will always say "My son graduated from high school".
Alright
class, pens down. Because at the end of the day, no one really cares what I think about the proper use of the English language.
I've added it to my pet peeves about the way people use the English language, along with "There's a disconnect". I plan to charge a dollar to everyone who says either of these phrases from now on. I may become a millionaire.
I recognize that we treat English in a much more casual manner than when I was growing up. Spelling, and the correct placement of nouns and verbs has become much less important in this era of I.M.(Instant Messaging). We are all in a hurry and have the need for speed. But when I read " I relly want to believe that UR smrtr than me" it makes me want to scrape my fingernails down the nearest blackboard.
I dare not stand in any ivory tower. I, myself, have fallen prey to the misuse of said language. I don't alwys edit my work accurately, and know there are sentences which are incorrect, when I press "PUBLISH". I shouldn't be throwing stones from my glass house. But I do.

But, p.s.: Just because it's becoming the norm, I will never be comfortable saying that my son graduated high school. I will always say "My son graduated from high school".
Alright
class, pens down. Because at the end of the day, no one really cares what I think about the proper use of the English language.
Comments