Of Sparkling Windows and Loss of Digits

In a few weeks, my family is coming.  The preparations are in full gear.  I find myself looking at my house and garden, wondering what jobs I should tackle, so that my house doesn't look like it always does.

One of the things that has been on my list, is to get my windows cleaned.  We have really great windows.  We replaced them all as part of our 're-do' of The Pokeaway and every time I look at them, I like them better and better.  They slide easy.  They have a great profile and the screens work.  The only problem is, that they get dirty.

This year has been particularly bad because there was a lot of birds who made deposits on the windows.  I knew that if I didn't get them cleaned before my family arrived, I would have to stand at strategic spots during the whole visit to try and cover them up:  "Hey look, what's over there?  Away from the dirty window?!"

Admittedly, I don't like cleaning windows.  It is very time consuming.  And tedious.  I thought of playing "Tom Sawyer" and getting a friend to help me with the job, but it was much more fun to go to the beach, so we did that instead.  I found many excuses to put off the job, but finally decided that I would tackle it a little at a time:  "Just a few windows today and then you can work on a few more another day".  

This technique turned out to be the ticket.  I spent several days, with smaller increments of time, but I made great progress.

I had several options for cleaning solutions.  Last on my list was using newspaper - it works, but my fingers and hands get really black and I can not afford a manicure to fix the problem.  I have traditional window cleaner in a spray bottle - it is clear and doesn't have a smell.  It's a better option. But my 'go-to' is to use "Glasses" cleaner.  I find less streaks when I use it. I decided to go that route and then finish the edges with my Norwex cloth. And so, I began.

All was well.  I was playing music loud to keep my mind distracted.  I was enjoying the hot, sunny weather.  I was feeling very productive.  And then I ran out of the "Glasses" cleaner.  So I went upstairs and fetched my clear Window spray cleaner.  

I think I cleaned about three windows before I looked down at my hands.  My thumbs were white. They looked like they were having a reaction - something like they had come in contact with a caustic material.  They began to sting.  This was not good.

I took a look at the clear spray bottle.  It said "Pet Stain and Odor Eliminator"  I made an Executive Decision.  I would run my hands under water to get rid of the caustic effect.  But I wasn't going to
re-do the windows I had already cleaned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom