The Art of Negotiation - 18-year old style
*Agree at pancake breakfast to go garage saleing with mom and sister
*Poke around, finding records and such
*Help find the different destinations, with my eye out for anything that looks like a garage sale sign.
* Land at the mother-lode of garage sales. It is late in the day, and we have found a complex with four different houses with their wares out.
*My eye lands on an electric bike. Interesting! I've always wanted an electric bike. Go investigate. It looks brand new. The price is 350$. There is also a brand new bike rack for sale. It is marked $20.00. Talk to my mom, who informs me that she can't help me out with this one. She needs to pay her mortgage more than spot me the money for a bike.
*Engage the owner in a conversation about the bike - how it works, where he purchased it, what kind of use he has made of it. Ask owner if he is willing to negotiate on the price. He says "Make me an offer." I am not sure what to say.
*Walk away.
*Think. Think. Think.
*Approach mom. Mom says "Do you have the money?" "What's your bottom line?" "Can you walk away from it, if he doesn't' budge?" Think. Think. Think. I have the money. My bottom line is $270.00. If he goes higher, I can walk away.
* Approach owner. Prepare to offer 200$ but see in his eyes, he would be insulted.
*Ask if he would take $250.00. He looks pained but he says "You seem like a decent young man, and I would like to help you out. I will give it to you for $310.00 "
*Hesitate.
*Tell the owner "Well, this is really a want, and not a need. I don't have a job, and I need to be careful of my money. Is there any way you could come down to $270.00?"
*Wait.
*Owner sighs and says "The very lowest I can go is $275.00"
*Hesitate. Think. Think. Think. It's only 5$ more than my bottom line. An idea comes to me.
*Clear my throat and say "Well, if I pay $275.00, could you throw in the bike rack for free?"
*Owner says "You're killing me here." then, "Where is it?"
*Show owner the bike rack. He agrees to throw it in.
*We have a deal.
*Come home and show Dad the bike. He and I both have a smile on our faces. Me, because my negotiating skills have been successful. He, because he can't believe I was able to negotiate such a deal.
*Make a mental note of this day for future reference re:The Art of Negotiation
*Poke around, finding records and such
*Help find the different destinations, with my eye out for anything that looks like a garage sale sign.
* Land at the mother-lode of garage sales. It is late in the day, and we have found a complex with four different houses with their wares out.
*My eye lands on an electric bike. Interesting! I've always wanted an electric bike. Go investigate. It looks brand new. The price is 350$. There is also a brand new bike rack for sale. It is marked $20.00. Talk to my mom, who informs me that she can't help me out with this one. She needs to pay her mortgage more than spot me the money for a bike.
*Engage the owner in a conversation about the bike - how it works, where he purchased it, what kind of use he has made of it. Ask owner if he is willing to negotiate on the price. He says "Make me an offer." I am not sure what to say.
*Walk away.
*Think. Think. Think.
*Approach mom. Mom says "Do you have the money?" "What's your bottom line?" "Can you walk away from it, if he doesn't' budge?" Think. Think. Think. I have the money. My bottom line is $270.00. If he goes higher, I can walk away.
* Approach owner. Prepare to offer 200$ but see in his eyes, he would be insulted.
*Ask if he would take $250.00. He looks pained but he says "You seem like a decent young man, and I would like to help you out. I will give it to you for $310.00 "
*Hesitate.
*Tell the owner "Well, this is really a want, and not a need. I don't have a job, and I need to be careful of my money. Is there any way you could come down to $270.00?"
*Wait.
*Owner sighs and says "The very lowest I can go is $275.00"
*Hesitate. Think. Think. Think. It's only 5$ more than my bottom line. An idea comes to me.
*Clear my throat and say "Well, if I pay $275.00, could you throw in the bike rack for free?"
*Owner says "You're killing me here." then, "Where is it?"
*Show owner the bike rack. He agrees to throw it in.
*We have a deal.
*Come home and show Dad the bike. He and I both have a smile on our faces. Me, because my negotiating skills have been successful. He, because he can't believe I was able to negotiate such a deal.
*Make a mental note of this day for future reference re:The Art of Negotiation
Comments
A tough task where he TRIUMPHED.
Way to go!!!
AC/DC