Virtual Projects
Lately, I have been involved in a few projects, which have given me as much pleasure in creating, as in sending them to the intended recipients.
One was a birthday package to my sister. I don't know when I decided that since she was turning a big number, she needed a big present, but I had so much fun getting the present together, it didn't matter. It took several weeks to amass a whole lot of little bits of 'nothings' to add to the gift. I numbered each one, and put a little clue for her to guess what the package held.
Then I put them in big box and put instructions on the inside of this card, making sure that she would see it first. I had made arrangements for me and a few other family members to watch her open the presents via video-conference. It was almost as good as being there - A virtual birthday party. I had a pile of fun watching her open the presents, and trying to remember what I had wrapped. The last one was the real reason for sending the package - a digital photo album with letters from family, and pictures (past and present) of loved ones. What a difference from just a few years ago, when distance dictated how close you could be with people you love on special occasions.
Spurred on by the fun of planning this virtual party, I began work on another project - this time a celebration of the 25th anniversary of graduation from college. I decided to look up as many of the 14 grads from my class as I could and send them each a card. I designed this one and inside I put a personal message to each person about something I remembered about them, from our classes or practicums together.
For a little topper, I included a little package of DAVIDsTEA (long life) so they could have a "wee" [virtual] celebration of the time we'd spent together, learning about Music Therapy before we all went our separate ways. I feel proud of my peers for the investments they have made, both in Music Therapy, and related fields. Several of them have gone on to become instructors; others have used their training as a jumping-off point to pursue careers that are inter-disciplinary with Music Therapy.
The best part of this project was re-connecting with people I haven't touched base with in a really long time and finding out a bit of where their journey has taken them.
I have loved these virtual projects. I think I have benefited from them more than the recipients. It has been a little like being Santa's helper - but in the middle of the year :)
One was a birthday package to my sister. I don't know when I decided that since she was turning a big number, she needed a big present, but I had so much fun getting the present together, it didn't matter. It took several weeks to amass a whole lot of little bits of 'nothings' to add to the gift. I numbered each one, and put a little clue for her to guess what the package held.
Then I put them in big box and put instructions on the inside of this card, making sure that she would see it first. I had made arrangements for me and a few other family members to watch her open the presents via video-conference. It was almost as good as being there - A virtual birthday party. I had a pile of fun watching her open the presents, and trying to remember what I had wrapped. The last one was the real reason for sending the package - a digital photo album with letters from family, and pictures (past and present) of loved ones. What a difference from just a few years ago, when distance dictated how close you could be with people you love on special occasions.
Spurred on by the fun of planning this virtual party, I began work on another project - this time a celebration of the 25th anniversary of graduation from college. I decided to look up as many of the 14 grads from my class as I could and send them each a card. I designed this one and inside I put a personal message to each person about something I remembered about them, from our classes or practicums together. For a little topper, I included a little package of DAVIDsTEA (long life) so they could have a "wee" [virtual] celebration of the time we'd spent together, learning about Music Therapy before we all went our separate ways. I feel proud of my peers for the investments they have made, both in Music Therapy, and related fields. Several of them have gone on to become instructors; others have used their training as a jumping-off point to pursue careers that are inter-disciplinary with Music Therapy.
The best part of this project was re-connecting with people I haven't touched base with in a really long time and finding out a bit of where their journey has taken them.
I have loved these virtual projects. I think I have benefited from them more than the recipients. It has been a little like being Santa's helper - but in the middle of the year :)


Comments