Who Says You Can't Go Home?

Today, I headed out for a visit with a dear family friend.  It was mid-morning; the sun was shining(somewhere under the clouds - [sunny days always lend themselves better to a story]) and the birds were singing.  I drove up our road and stopped at the corner, when I saw one of our city's finest (I am referring to the police department) with a car drawn across the road in a cordoning-off-limits position.

I rolled down my window and she informed me that they were on the lookout for a suspect who had possibly crossed the border.  She took a cursory glance in my van to see if I was hiding him.  Nope.  First I'd heard about it.  Then she told me that if I could head out, but I couldn't come back because the road would be blocked.

After asking her a really stupid question - which as it was coming out of my mouth I tried to retract, but it was no use "Do you have a timeline?".... I took a deep breath and headed out.  I didn't know when I would be able to return.  But I had promised to go for the visit, and I needed to show up.

It was a nice visit.  But it only lasted an hour.  What to do?  What to do?  I called my husband and we went out for lunch.  That was nice.  But it only lasted an hour. By this time, the news crews had arrived on scene and were reporting whole roadblocks, helicopters, sniffer dogs (is that what they are called?) and a school lock down.  I obviously was going to be stuck for a little while longer.  What to do?  What to do?  I stopped in at my husband's office and played on the computer for a little while until I could get ahold of my son, who was supposed to be taking the bus home. He informed me he'd made other plans anyways, so I didn't have to worry about him taking a bus to nowhere.  He would be in town for a while.  So I only had to worry about myself.   I went shopping.  I circled back and did some more shopping.  I stopped in at the post office to see if my parcel had arrived.  It hadn't. Shoot.  Now what to do??  Finally, I decided to try going home.  The worst they could do was to turn me back. I did the speed limit, trying to give the officers more time to take down the road blocks.  By this time, I heard that the road blocks had been lifted.  I passed news crews coming the other way.  They had made their reports.  The suspect was still at large, but there was nothing to see folks.

As soon as I arrived home, the door bell rang.  Two police officers (one of them, the police woman who probably recognized my red face from the dumb question I had asked) were there to tell me about what had happened - and that I should just keep the doors locked and the dogs inside - and were there any unsecured buildings they might look in to see if the suspect was in there?  I gave them full permission - although I did notice they didn't look in the trailer which would have been a perfect hiding spot.

They did a search and then carried on down the driveway to the next house.  It is now several hours past their arrival at my door.  I have spent the evening by myself, toggling between watching on-line news coverage (nothing new) and distracting myself by blogging and seeing if there are any emails.

"Who says you can't go home? " the song has been playing in my head all afternoon.  I might as well share it with you now - click on the link below....  Then it can go through your mind all day too.

Who Says You Can't Go Home?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom