Anticipation
This is me. Waiting for my #2 son. He was trying on a tuxedo. It is my last graduation to attend as a mom. It is a milestone to celebrate and to look back and ponder the last thirteen years of his school experience. I have had a few "moments" this school year. They catch me by surprise because they come upon me when I least expect them - at ordinary moments. One of them was when I dropped in at the school to pay for soccer fees. I realized that this was the last time I would be an school athlete's mom. I had to leave the office very quickly lest the administrative staff see me break down.
Another was when I picked him up for an orthodontic appointment. I suddenly thought of the fact that the times we would have in the vehicle together going to appointments had almost come to an end. He would soon be able to make his own appointments and ferry himself there. Gone would be the days of chatting side by side, and making side trips to the drive through for a treat.
Taking him to try on tuxedos was another. The very fact that in two more months, I was going to watch him at the grad parade - standing tall and handsome and so grown up- produced a sweet-nostalgia in my mother's heart.
I was ever so pleased that I got to go with him that day. We had fun finding our way through an unfamiliar town to talk to every shop owner who sold tuxes. We stopped for Subway and chatted and people-watched and wandered into a few shops we hadn't planned on.
In the end, we got a screaming deal on this tux with tails. It will come with a pink bow tie - to match his girlfriend's hot pink prom dress, a four-coloured pocket pouffe, and shiny shoes. Oh and cuff links and button covers.
I look forward to the parade. There will only be one grad I will watch for. And I will probably be having another moment while he goes by.

Comments
JC