Spring Projects
My Mom bought me this little shelf when my kids were small. It's one of the last gifts she gave me. I have always loved it. When my "colours" were burgundy and black, I painted it burgundy and attached a ribbon and some dried baby's breath for decoration. Then I found these cherubs and I loved them too. They perched perfectly on the shelf with a perfect mix of innocence and cheekiness.
When we moved to The Pokeaway, I brought them with me, but tucked them away in a drawer because my colours were no longer burgundy and black, and they just didn't fit in anywhere. I couldn't quite bring myself to getting rid of them, because I still loved them. So they sat in the drawer for almost three years.
Then one day, just before company came over, I had a brilliant idea. While I was waiting for the company, I would quickly paint the shelf white.
[What was I thinking????] I shouldn't have started it that night. I didn't have enough time; I didn't have the right tools. I needed a sponge brush but I didn't have one, so I grabbed a paint brush. It left large streaks of paint in the wrong places. Sighhhhh. And then the company arrived, and I had to leave the project staring at me in recrimination. Every time I looked at it, I felt bad that I had tried to do the project in 3 1/2 minutes, with the wrong tools, and now I was left with a horrible-looking mess.
I left it on the windowsill for quite a while. Then one day, when I had more time, I decided to try again. I just couldn't throw it away. I still loved it. I began to sand it down. And that's when the miracle happened. As I sanded, the streaks disappeared, and the burgundy colour started to come through and suddenly, I had a shabby chic shelf on my hands. I was inspired (and relieved!). After sanding it to the desired effect, I hung it up and put the cherubs in their rightful spot.
Serendipitous!
When we moved to The Pokeaway, I brought them with me, but tucked them away in a drawer because my colours were no longer burgundy and black, and they just didn't fit in anywhere. I couldn't quite bring myself to getting rid of them, because I still loved them. So they sat in the drawer for almost three years.
Then one day, just before company came over, I had a brilliant idea. While I was waiting for the company, I would quickly paint the shelf white.
[What was I thinking????] I shouldn't have started it that night. I didn't have enough time; I didn't have the right tools. I needed a sponge brush but I didn't have one, so I grabbed a paint brush. It left large streaks of paint in the wrong places. Sighhhhh. And then the company arrived, and I had to leave the project staring at me in recrimination. Every time I looked at it, I felt bad that I had tried to do the project in 3 1/2 minutes, with the wrong tools, and now I was left with a horrible-looking mess.
I left it on the windowsill for quite a while. Then one day, when I had more time, I decided to try again. I just couldn't throw it away. I still loved it. I began to sand it down. And that's when the miracle happened. As I sanded, the streaks disappeared, and the burgundy colour started to come through and suddenly, I had a shabby chic shelf on my hands. I was inspired (and relieved!). After sanding it to the desired effect, I hung it up and put the cherubs in their rightful spot.
Serendipitous!

Comments
I love thinking about the designer streak in those I love, which comes out in what they made for me, or gave me that someone else had made. The gift tells such a story...a gift that Keeps On Giving.
We get to enjoy the little shelf along with you. Thanks for detailing the process. Makes us think of similar in our own homes...
clwl