End of an Era
I have spent many a morning, afternoon or evening being a soccer mom. I have gone near and far to cheer the team on. I have spent money going out to eat afterwards to celebrate a win or to help lick wounds from a loss. This era came to an end two weeks ago, when I attended my last official game as a soccer mom.
There was something bitter-sweet about it. I won't miss shivering out in the cold - where we live, soccer is only cancelled if there's more than a foot of snow on the ground, which is rare. I won't miss giving up weekend days to attend the games. But I will miss the chats in the vehicle there and back - where a parent can find out information about a kid's life easier than in a formal setting. I will also miss the camaraderie with other parents, because as I have found out, as the sport finishes in our kid's timelines, the parental interaction ceases.
I was so happy that the final day was a sunny-blue day. Even though the wind was nippy, the sun masked the coolness whipping our hair into our eyes. The outcome was good - the team won the tournament championship, which was a bonus, since the week before they had won the district championship, so it was a good way to go out.
And we got to take a short walk down to the ocean and breathe the salt air, and enjoy the first signs of spring. It was the end of an era, but good news, I will continue to be a soccer wife. Co-Ed starts this week.
There was something bitter-sweet about it. I won't miss shivering out in the cold - where we live, soccer is only cancelled if there's more than a foot of snow on the ground, which is rare. I won't miss giving up weekend days to attend the games. But I will miss the chats in the vehicle there and back - where a parent can find out information about a kid's life easier than in a formal setting. I will also miss the camaraderie with other parents, because as I have found out, as the sport finishes in our kid's timelines, the parental interaction ceases.
I was so happy that the final day was a sunny-blue day. Even though the wind was nippy, the sun masked the coolness whipping our hair into our eyes. The outcome was good - the team won the tournament championship, which was a bonus, since the week before they had won the district championship, so it was a good way to go out.
And we got to take a short walk down to the ocean and breathe the salt air, and enjoy the first signs of spring. It was the end of an era, but good news, I will continue to be a soccer wife. Co-Ed starts this week.

Comments
2012
A signature year
A year of many firsts, a year of many "goodbye-to's"
For each of you 5!!! soon to be 6