The "E" Word

New Year's Resolutions are always the big topic at this time of year.  I have been thinking about it all week, as the beginning of the year approached and then arrived. It seems everyone is talking about what to do, how to do it, and how they will accomplish all the goals to which they aspire.  Generally the talk is about exercise and diet.  People are interviewed about it and they say they want to be in the best physical condition of their lives.  Then about two months into the year, all sorts of ads appear selling off the treadmills.  Usually there are pictures of the exercise equipment showing coats hanging off the handles, because that is what they default to, after two weeks of not keeping up with the Resolution.  Coat Racks.


Radio shows, the TV shows all resort to looking at the way we set ourselves up with Resolutions.  One had a call-in show to 'the doctor' who would give advice about fitness and diet.  A lady called in and complained about how tired she was when she got home from work and just couldn't get herself out the door, and besides, she had heard it was detrimental to start until one hour after eating.  The doctor, although very kind and diplomatic, did not accept the excuses.  She asked "Let me ask you this:  Are you tired even if you don't exercise?" The answer was yes.  Then the Dr.  suggested "Well if you will still be tired no matter what, why not just go and get out there and exercise and you will have the benefit from it.  And by the way, not exercising for an hour after eating is only for extreme athletes".  The lady was silenced by this information, and it made the rest of us listeners think.  The next lady had a bit of a different dilemma: "I started getting into exercising last summer, but I 'fell off the wagon' and just feel bad about it".  The doctor, again kind and diplomatic, did not allow the caller to land there.  "Celebrate the fact that you started, and even though you stopped, today is a good day to start again".

These comments resonated with me.  And that brought me to the 2-year old puppy we have. [ I guess he's not so much a puppy anymore. ]  I have been watching him all week when I take the leash out, to take him for a daily walk.  Not one time has he shown signs of "I'm too tired to exercise", "It's raining. I don't feel like going out" or, "We just went for a walk yesterday.  Couldn't we take a day off?"  Nope.  Every time he sees the leash, he does a happy dance.  He twirls and whirls and whines excitedly.  "A walk?  The best news I've had all day!  I get to go out in the rain and dance!  I'm ready to dance!  C'mon let's go!  Yahoo!"

I find his reaction to the opportunity to get out and exercise, inspiring.  He strains at the leash with happy exuberance.   Once we get off-road, and I can let him off leash, he runs like the wind, up and down the hill, then turns around, looks at me, and runs like the wind all the way back to me, just because he can.  Then he's off to explore - up and down the hill.  In and out of the rushes.  Digging for moles,  Going to the creek to get a drink, splashing through the water and then running up the hill again, panting and looking every bit happy in a crazy-happy sort of way: "This was the BEST idea EVER! Thanks for thinking of it!"   When I reach the fence, I tell him it's time to turn around, and he begins the homeward bound process with just as much fervour as he did on the way there.

Many people use a picture of their 'best self' to post on the fridge to motivate them to healthy living. I think I may just frame the one above instead.  I think it will keep my enthusiasm pumped up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom