Second Act
I am particularly pleased with this picture because it took me three hours to create it. When the kitchen and dining room were torn apart, I had to take everything out of the pantry cupboard and move it into the mudroom. When it was time to put it back, I decided to design a cupboard with super-functional order.
First, I re-purposed some metal shelves I had originally put in the dining area. This essentially gave me two shelves in one, as you can see on the bottom shelves. This way, I had room to put the mixing bowls higher and storage items on the 'lower' shelf.
The flour and sugar containers were the biggest, so they had to occupy the only shelf that would accommodate them height-wise.
On the third shelf down from the top you will see that all the spices are alphabetically ordered. (Good job there's only 8 of them). The baking spices are on the left. The baking condiments (like chocolate chips) are on the right. The top shelf is reserved for things I like to have on hand, but don't use very often, like jello.
All the canned goods are on the bottom shelf. I would have preferred to have them on a higher shelf, but also didn't want to lean down to get the cookbooks on the bottom shelf, so I opted to leave them low. That way, I can see if there's dust-bunnies under the pantry cupboard when I'm on my knees looking for diced tomatoes, or cream of chicken soup.
I also made the executive decision to remove the ice-cream maker from the very top of the cupboard. I so rarely use it; the space can be better utilized by the paper towels [in the basket] and freezer bag - other things I don't use often but need them handy.
Once I was done, I took the picture. This is because my family doesn't share my organization plan and things will inevitably end up in less logical positions.
Some of you may be wondering why I didn't show the rest of my cupboards and the stellar organization I created in them. This is because they are still virtual cupboards - only in my mind can I open a drawer or corner cupboard and pull out the spatulas and pots and pans and the cookie press. One day, they will be reality, but one must not rush genius.
My next project is to tackle my temporary drawer system. It also has gotten quite disheveled in all the chaos and commotion of renovation. And then I am going to book myself a pedicure to celebrate how lucky they are to have me.
First, I re-purposed some metal shelves I had originally put in the dining area. This essentially gave me two shelves in one, as you can see on the bottom shelves. This way, I had room to put the mixing bowls higher and storage items on the 'lower' shelf.
The flour and sugar containers were the biggest, so they had to occupy the only shelf that would accommodate them height-wise.
On the third shelf down from the top you will see that all the spices are alphabetically ordered. (Good job there's only 8 of them). The baking spices are on the left. The baking condiments (like chocolate chips) are on the right. The top shelf is reserved for things I like to have on hand, but don't use very often, like jello.
All the canned goods are on the bottom shelf. I would have preferred to have them on a higher shelf, but also didn't want to lean down to get the cookbooks on the bottom shelf, so I opted to leave them low. That way, I can see if there's dust-bunnies under the pantry cupboard when I'm on my knees looking for diced tomatoes, or cream of chicken soup.
I also made the executive decision to remove the ice-cream maker from the very top of the cupboard. I so rarely use it; the space can be better utilized by the paper towels [in the basket] and freezer bag - other things I don't use often but need them handy.
Once I was done, I took the picture. This is because my family doesn't share my organization plan and things will inevitably end up in less logical positions.
Some of you may be wondering why I didn't show the rest of my cupboards and the stellar organization I created in them. This is because they are still virtual cupboards - only in my mind can I open a drawer or corner cupboard and pull out the spatulas and pots and pans and the cookie press. One day, they will be reality, but one must not rush genius.
My next project is to tackle my temporary drawer system. It also has gotten quite disheveled in all the chaos and commotion of renovation. And then I am going to book myself a pedicure to celebrate how lucky they are to have me.

Comments
BRAVO!!!