Brain Surge

While I was doing my taxes, it occurred to me that if I had all my receipts categorized by month, I might save myself some time come April. Usually I spend the better half of a day looking at the receipts I have collected in the "tax file" and strain my eyes trying to read the date and the amount of money it cost me.
Why this took 24 years to figure out, I really don't know -.....................thinking...... nope.  still.  don't.  know.

I began the hunt.  Whenever I have to do an unpleasant job, a cool tool can help me feel a little bit more motivated to get 'er dun.    So I began to look around for one that would be magically delicious.  I spent about an hour at the stationery store.  Nothing in that department, but I did find some pretty files that I am going to use to update my old ratty ones.  Oh, and I got some nice pens, and some printer paper.  I am easily distracted in stationery stores.....


Then last night, I mentioned my tool hunt to my friend.   I said I wanted something neato-kazito to separate my receipts by month, that I could keep in the van and throw in there as soon as I had bought the item or paid for the gas.

She said she used an envelope with six pockets - and divided the year into bi-monthly sections. I thought that might work for me but couldn't quite visualize what she was talking about.   Later that evening she sent this picture and it's dimensions - [actually the picture was right-side up and frontwards when she sent it, but I am too tired to figure out how to flip it - this is the way it showed up on blogger]  so I could see what she was talking about. 

Love it.  I now knew what I was looking for - more the size of a coupon holder. I made another trip to the stationery store and voila - in the filing aisle there were several similar pockets.  I evaluated each one.  I wanted something pretty, but the pretty ones were too small.  And then, a profound thinking thing happened inside of my head.  I could pretty up the one that worked the best[ and cost the least].  Eureka!  A win-win situation.  I bought some stickers (in the clearance section) and remembered I had some scrap-booking letters at home.

Move

over

Martha. 


There's a new Stewart in town.

Comments

Lisa P said…
Baha...ya you tell Martha to move on over...cause you are far more interesting and use words like neat-kazito...and clearly you could give me a lesson or two on organization! I throw everything away...I drive my husband crazy!
c said…
Beware the shrinking ink of modern day printed receipts. Factor that into the picture ...

just trying to save you some squinting at year's end....we've done that, been t....

the thought process you've led us through is brilliant.

BTW: I get a daily digest from Martha. And I get one from Mary.

Let me assure, you, Mary has chosen the better part... in this one too!!! And Martha is cumbered about with many things....

But I definitely "profit" from each of them.... ;-)

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom