Perspective
One of the new developments for us here at The Pokeaway is a bit more financial freedom to develop The Pokeaway. Remember my kitchen?
Well, now, there is a possibility that we might be able to get the cupboards put in and all my earthly troubles will be over. We have been entertaining offers of cupboard construction and several companies have shown up to poke and prod. It feels a little like they are the kitchen doctors and we are the patients. They say a lot of "mm hmmms" and "I sees" and "ahas" and "hnunhs" , while I try to read their mind$$$$. They consult their stethoscope (measuring tapes), and tap on the walls to test reflexes, and use large sweeping motions with their hands to prescribe recommendations for a thriving, well-conditioned, flourishing kitchen. "Why don't you bring the fridge over there?" "If you moved the plumbing to this wall you'd have more counter space." "You should consider a counter-depth fridge." "You have a lot of power outages...why not A gas range." "A drawer dishwasher would make your life easier". [Appliances have to be in place before the cupboard measurements can be completed.]
I nod vigorously as if I concur with all they say. I understand some; but more of it I cannot envision. I feel obligated to do research. My kitchen has been limping along for eighteen months and if I want a robust place to prepare meals, I need to get shopping.
Off to the appliance store I go. This is much like checking in at the pharmacy. You can get generic drugs, or you can pay a lot more and get the name brand. I look around at all the possibilities. Want a gas range? What kind? Dual fuel or all gas? Six burners or four? A grate that can turn upside down so you can put a wok on it and do stir fry? A warming drawer? A combination convection oven that will proof your bread? (I didn't know what that meant either so I asked - put your dough in to rise in an oven that keeps the dough at a completely even temperature). How about lighting - ambient or LED? Do you want racks that roll? Or that can be separated and lifted up so you can cook a large casserole, and three pans of cookies, and get your windows done at the same time.
The same for the fridge and the dishwasher and the hood fan and the microwaves. After a couple of hours, I need to return home. I am exhausted by the possibilities. I
While regrouping, I re-evaluate my needs. I remind myself that I don't love cooking. I do it because it is on my household job description as 'other related duties' . I am not a person who peruses through recipe books and gets all excited about trying new recipes. Getting the fancy-schmancy deals are not going to change that - just as buying the tent trailer did not make us camper Bobs.
A few days later, I return to the stores and narrow down my search. This time, I am more discerning about what I look at. I am committed to a healthy budget. That's my number one priority. All other considerations will have to take the back burner (so to speak).
![]() |
| I'm dreaming of a white kitchen... |
I nod vigorously as if I concur with all they say. I understand some; but more of it I cannot envision. I feel obligated to do research. My kitchen has been limping along for eighteen months and if I want a robust place to prepare meals, I need to get shopping.
Off to the appliance store I go. This is much like checking in at the pharmacy. You can get generic drugs, or you can pay a lot more and get the name brand. I look around at all the possibilities. Want a gas range? What kind? Dual fuel or all gas? Six burners or four? A grate that can turn upside down so you can put a wok on it and do stir fry? A warming drawer? A combination convection oven that will proof your bread? (I didn't know what that meant either so I asked - put your dough in to rise in an oven that keeps the dough at a completely even temperature). How about lighting - ambient or LED? Do you want racks that roll? Or that can be separated and lifted up so you can cook a large casserole, and three pans of cookies, and get your windows done at the same time.
The same for the fridge and the dishwasher and the hood fan and the microwaves. After a couple of hours, I need to return home. I am exhausted by the possibilities. I
While regrouping, I re-evaluate my needs. I remind myself that I don't love cooking. I do it because it is on my household job description as 'other related duties' . I am not a person who peruses through recipe books and gets all excited about trying new recipes. Getting the fancy-schmancy deals are not going to change that - just as buying the tent trailer did not make us camper Bobs.
![]() |
| Love the look of these cupboards |





Comments