Yo Momma

Not far from where I live, is a "park and ride" where my mother-in-law and I meet once or twice a week to carpool and save a little gas.  On Monday when I returned to the van, and started it up, I knew immediately something was wrong. 

It is just NOT RIGHT when a mini-van sounds like it's trying out for
'The Fast and the Furious #299".  It's a mini-van afterall. 

The decibel level was so loud, and the reverberation was so strong, that I turned off the ignition right away. Ever the optimist I am (not), I decided to try again.  I turned the ignition key once more, hoping for better results.  Carbon monoxide poisoning would have been immediate if I had been in a garage.  Huge blue puffs of smoke billowed out from underneath the van.  I got out.  I went to the back of the van, and kneeled on the ground (in my work clothes).  The muffler was still there. 

Now I was completely baffled (and a little more deaf).  The sound was so terrible, it couldn't be ignored.  All I needed was a bass boost on the stereo, and I could drive up and down the road looking cool.
I did not collect 200$.  I did not pass go.  I limped along to the service station.  Every time I pressed on the accelerator, the revving of the engine announced : "JUST a little old MINI VANNNNN DRIVINnnnnnG ALONnnnnnG THE ROAD PEOPLE!!!!!!".  It was a very lonnnnnng 5 kilometer ride.  Especially labouring up the hills.  I was wishing I had a hoody so people would mistake me for a gangster, instead of a mom in a mini-van.

I called ahead to the service station to make sure they'd still be open when I got there.  I think he said yes.  I couldn't hear him.  But he couldn't hear me either.  But he could sure hear the van! When I arrived at the service station, and explained what the sound was, he came out and took a look underneath the van and found the problem....  "Someone" had taken the catalytic converter.
 
That was the bad news.  The good news was that the insurance company would cover the cost of replacement since we have comprehensive coverage.  There have been times in my life when I grumble about the amount of money I pay to insurance companies, but this was one occasion when I was glad for the coverage.  I was hooked up with a rental car (Black Nissan Elantra) to use for the few days it would take to unravel a missiing catalytic converter.  And for a smallish deductible, I was hooked up with a replacement converter from the shop.

All is right with the world once more.  I no longer have to wear a leather jacket, a lot of black eyeliner,  and a lot of chains.  And I've taken the nose ring out.  A "gangsta mamma" has no place in a mini-van.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom