Faltering Heart
I am a modern history buff - especially when a central character is involved. I am drawn to watching history unfold before my eyes. When Oliver North was summoned to testify on televised hearings before a joint Congressional committee over the Iran-Contra scandal, I found myself glued to the proceedings. On the day OJ Simpson was found 'not guilty', I didn't go anywhere until I saw the results with my own eyes. I have watched presidential proceedings, royal weddings, and state funerals. I am not sure why, but somehow the action of watching these events makes me feel a part of them.
A few weeks ago, when Whitney Houston died, I couldn't stop tuning into the variety of coverage on the history of her life. I wouldn't call myself a fan, but there was something that tugged at my heartstrings about her death. I had seen her interviewed several times, where she spoke glowingly of being a Mom and how much she loved her daughter Bobbi Kristina. It could be that I was touched by her death because she was so close in age to me, and it seemed tragic that she seemed so used up at what should have been the prime of her life. Perhaps it was the bitter irony of an incredibly gifted woman who had been brought up in a family with strong faith, who had worldly success, but was beset by public struggles in so many areas of her life, and died too young.
I happened to switch on the TV on the day of her funeral - I watched the tail end of the three-hour affair. Later, I went back and watched some of the tributes online. One of them was by Kevin Costner, who had co-starred with Whitney in the movie `The Bodyguard`. He talked about how similar their upbringings had been - both raised in Baptist churches. He related how they had compared stories about growing up in the church as they prepared to work together.
Apparently, Whitney had many reservations about her ability to be effective as an actress, and he spent time reassuring her that she was capable, but she was still insecure. I identified with the feelings of inadequacy. I imagine many women do. We second-guess ourselves; we wonder if we are pretty enough, skilled enough, if we can actually prove ourselves to be worthy.
What Kevin Costner said at the very end of his tribute made me wish I could crawl through the TV and shake his hand to say `Thank You`. It was such an important message for all young (and young-at-heart) women. He said this:
"And so to you, Bobbi Kristina and to all those young girls who are dreaming that
dream, that may be thinking, are they good enough? I think Whitney would tell
you, 'Guard your bodies, guard the precious miracle of your own life, and then
sing your hearts out,' knowing that there's a lady in heaven who is making God
himself wonder how he created something so perfect. ...So off you go, Whitney, off you go. Escorted by an army of angels to your
heavenly father, and when you sing before him, don't worry . . . you'll be good
enough."

Comments
Ditto to your reaction.
Thanks for the rejoinder!
She set the bar REALLY high!
c