My Favourite Things #6
I admit it. Gifts are one of my favourite things.
To me, the best gifts are those that are well-thought out and speak to the inside of a person - not just a quick stop at the store to pick up a sausage because it's 4:00 on Christmas Eve. This is the 24th Christmas I have spent with my husband and when I think back on some of the gifts he has given to me, one of the most memorable was the sewing machine. The reason for this is that I know that he'd been saving up to buy a computer for himself, and instead, he turned it into a gift for me. First of all, he wrapped up a pencil sharpener that was shaped like a sewing machine. He put it in a big box and when I opened that one up, there was a note inside that said "For the real version, go downstairs". When I went downstairs there was the most beautiful sewing machine. It runs like butter. And even though I am not the best seamstress, every time I pull out the sewing machine for a little project, I remember the sacrifice he made to give me something that I had wanted for a long time.
I love watching people open 'the perfect gift'. One of these was a coat that my girlfriend and I had seen when we were shopping. Circumstances in her life didn`t allow her the luxury of buying just anything. But it was obvious she loved the coat and would have bought it, if we`d found a lottery ticket on the way out of the store. I went back later and got the coat for her. Then I found out that she had gone back too, but in a pre-arranged conversation with the sales lady, she was told that they were no longer available. I let my family in on the secret and all of us watched with great anticipation on Christmas day when she opened up the present to find the coat beneath the wrapping. She wore it all morning.
Another of my favourite things to do when wrapping presents is to give something that makes me laugh as I wrap it up - like wrapping up a random useable - who doesn`t love to find an unmatched sock in their stocking? One year, I didn't have enough gifts to put into a stocking I was making for another friend who was coming to share Christmas morning with us. My husband had received a pound of fudge from a Sunday School student after the Christmas Eve service. So I wrapped it back up and put it in my friend's stocking, only I didn't tell him. But then I alerted the rest of the guests to watch his face as she opened it up. It was so funny seeing him register what I had done. "I wonder what my wife wrapped up? Wait...isn't that the fudge....I'm sure it's the fudge I just got last night....she just wrapped that up and gave it away?.....well I'll be!...." The rest of us burst out laughing - seemingly with no reason.
Some gifts are 'better than a kick in the head' gifts. They are not anywhere near the calibre of what I would have really liked to give, but at least it is something to open. One year, my husband and I had set a limit of 20 dollars for gifts for each other. Even in those days, it wasn't a whole lot to work with. He likes golf, so I ended up buying him a little gizmo that would allow him to see what angle he should putt the ball to get into the hole. I didn't realize that he wasn't as Physics-challenged as I am and he didn't need a gizmo like that to help his game. But I do remember the look on his face when he opened it and tried to look grateful. We took it back and pooled some other gift money together and instead he bought a Walkman and then proceeded to use my sewing machine to make himself a lovely velvet cover to protect it. He's better at sewing than I am too!
This year, I have had the most fun getting stocking stuffers. We drew names, but I can't help but pick up little bits for each person. My daughter is getting some cool kitchen stuff - since she has moved out and is setting up her own little place. My # 1 son is getting some 'easy to carry' stuff - since he is still in transition and needs things that can tuck into small spaces. My #2 son is getting some cologne that he likes. And my husband is getting some shoe polish. And I am getting some mascara that I thought was no longer in production. I found it one day when I was out and about. I'm going to wrap it up and put it in my stocking. I know I will be surprised. How did I know that's exactly what I wanted?!
To me, the best gifts are those that are well-thought out and speak to the inside of a person - not just a quick stop at the store to pick up a sausage because it's 4:00 on Christmas Eve. This is the 24th Christmas I have spent with my husband and when I think back on some of the gifts he has given to me, one of the most memorable was the sewing machine. The reason for this is that I know that he'd been saving up to buy a computer for himself, and instead, he turned it into a gift for me. First of all, he wrapped up a pencil sharpener that was shaped like a sewing machine. He put it in a big box and when I opened that one up, there was a note inside that said "For the real version, go downstairs". When I went downstairs there was the most beautiful sewing machine. It runs like butter. And even though I am not the best seamstress, every time I pull out the sewing machine for a little project, I remember the sacrifice he made to give me something that I had wanted for a long time.
I love watching people open 'the perfect gift'. One of these was a coat that my girlfriend and I had seen when we were shopping. Circumstances in her life didn`t allow her the luxury of buying just anything. But it was obvious she loved the coat and would have bought it, if we`d found a lottery ticket on the way out of the store. I went back later and got the coat for her. Then I found out that she had gone back too, but in a pre-arranged conversation with the sales lady, she was told that they were no longer available. I let my family in on the secret and all of us watched with great anticipation on Christmas day when she opened up the present to find the coat beneath the wrapping. She wore it all morning.
Another of my favourite things to do when wrapping presents is to give something that makes me laugh as I wrap it up - like wrapping up a random useable - who doesn`t love to find an unmatched sock in their stocking? One year, I didn't have enough gifts to put into a stocking I was making for another friend who was coming to share Christmas morning with us. My husband had received a pound of fudge from a Sunday School student after the Christmas Eve service. So I wrapped it back up and put it in my friend's stocking, only I didn't tell him. But then I alerted the rest of the guests to watch his face as she opened it up. It was so funny seeing him register what I had done. "I wonder what my wife wrapped up? Wait...isn't that the fudge....I'm sure it's the fudge I just got last night....she just wrapped that up and gave it away?.....well I'll be!...." The rest of us burst out laughing - seemingly with no reason.
Some gifts are 'better than a kick in the head' gifts. They are not anywhere near the calibre of what I would have really liked to give, but at least it is something to open. One year, my husband and I had set a limit of 20 dollars for gifts for each other. Even in those days, it wasn't a whole lot to work with. He likes golf, so I ended up buying him a little gizmo that would allow him to see what angle he should putt the ball to get into the hole. I didn't realize that he wasn't as Physics-challenged as I am and he didn't need a gizmo like that to help his game. But I do remember the look on his face when he opened it and tried to look grateful. We took it back and pooled some other gift money together and instead he bought a Walkman and then proceeded to use my sewing machine to make himself a lovely velvet cover to protect it. He's better at sewing than I am too!
This year, I have had the most fun getting stocking stuffers. We drew names, but I can't help but pick up little bits for each person. My daughter is getting some cool kitchen stuff - since she has moved out and is setting up her own little place. My # 1 son is getting some 'easy to carry' stuff - since he is still in transition and needs things that can tuck into small spaces. My #2 son is getting some cologne that he likes. And my husband is getting some shoe polish. And I am getting some mascara that I thought was no longer in production. I found it one day when I was out and about. I'm going to wrap it up and put it in my stocking. I know I will be surprised. How did I know that's exactly what I wanted?!

Comments
Thanks for the buildup, and the insights. Love it.
Helps me get in the mood.
xoxo
clwl