My Favourite Things #3

Do you know what a kerschizzle is?  A kerschizzle is an electric impulse which is sent to the limbic system in the brain.  The limbic system is closely associated with the eyebrows and when a kerschizzle happens, it makes a person frown distractedly.  The kerschizzle response is usually the result of many experiences which wreaked havoc in the person's life.  Whatever the subject of said havoc, when the word is mentionse, memories to return in a rush, causing a collapse in a heap with loud moaning.

The word that does causes this reaction in me is DECORATIONS.  Specifically the Christmas type.  I have so many havoc-wreaking memories of DECORATIONS, that around this time of year, I experience kerschizzles on a regular basis.

That is until this year. It suddenly occured to me that I needn't allow the "D" word to conquer me. Whatever happens happens. Que sera, sera. Fa la la la la la.  I have to admit that it helped a lot to have my #2 son do the bulk of the decorating. He crawled under the stairs and brought out all the boxes.   Once the boxes covered the floor, and then he took charge.  He transformed this:

Into this:
Take a little extra time to enjoy the ribbon lights that he took 45 minutes to wrap on the inside of my large vase.  And the whimsy of the small mitt and stocking that my sister gave me.  And the countdown snowman that my other sister sent.

 I think what I realized this year in a new way, is that the joy of the Christmas decorations is the memories they bring - of people who have taken the time to think of you and to commemorate the friendship with their additions to your collection.  I have traded in my sighs of "DECoraTIons??? ReallY? " for a happy dance of enjoyment.  [It helped that we played Christmas music while we we were doing the task]  No medication required. 





P.S. I made up "kerschizzle" - so don't try to use it in a Scrabble game. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom