My Favourite Things #1
There's certain things about the Christmas season that I love. One of them is the movies. I love Christmas movies. The plots are so thin you can see right through them. And that's one of my favourite things. They usually feature a well dressed individual, who doesn't have their priorities straight. They live in a beautiful neighbourhood and yet never get around to enjoying their surroundings because they are too busy working all the time. The car they drive is always expensive looking and fast; they tap their fingers distractedly on the steering wheel alot - usually while they are talking on a Bluetooth to reschedule all their appointments because they are stuck in traffic.
Somewhere along the line, something catastrophic happens. Or perhaps I should say something magical. There is a """"RANDOM"""" (*wink** wink*) meeting with a person who has the power to effect change. Once the meeting ends, the fun begins. The grumpy-pants person runs into all kinds of obstacles which makes it impossilbe to maintain a purpose-less life. Instead, they are propelled toward a life of deeper meaning. They find out that 'stuff' is not what life is made of - that being surrounded by people you love, is much better.
By the middle of the movie, the male residents of my house are beginning to make nasty comments - they say they are 'guessing' what is going to happen next. No one in the house if fooled. There is no surprise ending. The boy gets the girl. The life is fulfilled etc. etc. Still it doesn't stop me from shushing them as if I don't want them to spoil the surprise for me.
I like the romance of it. Oh, did I mention that there is usually a romantic 'twist'? Some handsome stranger comes along and (shh...don't tell me but) by the end of the show the grumpy-pants person has fallen head over heels in love with them, and they fade off into the snowscape, promising the Christmas spirit that they would never again return to their stingy ways.
It's the stuff that long winter's evenings are made of. And it is made even better with a cup of hot chocolate and some popcorn [with a dash of eye rolling]. God Bless Us Everyone!
Comments