Deck the Halls...Or Not As The Case May Be

WHEN IT COMES TO DECORATING A HOUSE, THIS IS MORE MY STYLE
Last night, I was out to coffee with a friend of mine, and we got talking about Christmas decorations.  She asked me if I had mine out and had I decorated yet?  I said a firm "NO--EWW".  The thing that is holding me back, is that the decorations are all in storage.  I like the fact that they are neatly in boxes. Bringing them out only heralds a few days of upheaval.  I am upheaval-weary. 
 
Not that I have a particular excuse, since we have been at The Pokeaway for over a year and are settled here.  But honestly, the thought of digging through the cubby hole fills me with a certain dread.

For one thing, I'm not a Martha Stewart decorator.  I see the magazine displays and quite frankly, the thought of having more than one tree, or decorating more than one room, exhausts me.  In order to decorate like her, I would have to add more garland and lights and baubles.  I don't want any more storage boxes in my cubby.  Besides, I don't know that adding more stuff to my arsenal for decorating will make that big of a difference.    My decorating ability is minimal.  I know what I like, when I see it, but making my own house look like that is just too overwhelming. 

If I am completely honest, it may be more to do with the fact that the more things I pull out [and put out], the more things I will have to move to vacuum and dust around and under. The thought of this makes me want to return to bed and pull a pillow over my head.  In order to have a little more control,  I try to keep decorating to a minimum. An electric candle in the bathroom.  A Christmas towel hanging on the stove.  And lots of Christmas music playing. 

When it comes to enjoying the Christmas season, I am more of an event person anyways.  I like going on light tours (looking at others' decorations is less tiring).  I like attending concerts.  I like going to the mall and poking through the stores for really interesting gift ideas and I like leaving most of it there.  I like having people over and hanging out with a good cup of tea. These things decorate my soul.

I am sure this apathy toward decorating the house will pass.  Any day now (since December is just two days away), when I am in a particularly jolly mood,  I will venture back to the cubby hole under the stairs.  I will  move all the paraphernalia that has collected in the hall closet, take the leftover paint cans out, remove the game drawers, move the sewing machine, whack my head on the truss that holds up the stairs, and then bring those boxes out.   I will loudly exclaim over the snowmen and lights and special decorations.  "Oh I'd forgotten I had that one!!!"  And all will be forgiven.  Once the decorations are up, I will look around and say how much I love having them out, and I will wonder why I waited so long.  In fact, just writing this has made me curious as to what is in those boxes.  I'm going to excuse myself to find a thick hat to put on, so that when I whack myself on the trusses as I pull out the boxes, I won't hurt myself.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom