The Changing Seasons of Seasons

'Tis the Season...on the 15th of November, I was making supper - I was all by myself.  I don't like to work in silence.  It feels too lonely.  I went into the living room to turn something on, and then I paused.  Would it be too early?  Once it starts, there's no stopping it.  Then I smiled and went to the cupboard and got out the box.  I sorted through the selections and came up with three that were contrasting - without being too overt.  And then I set the stereo to 'random sort' and turned up the volume.  Soon, I was enjoying music from "The Nutcracker Suite", Josh Groban's Christmas album, and Johnny Reid (just to rock out a bit). 

Not too long after that, my husband walked in and loudly proclaimed "What is THIS?!"  and then he remembered my many lectures about how, when I dig out Christmas music or decorations, the Rules of Supportive Husband apply.  No disparaging comments allowed.  Only nods of appreciation and grabbing your wife and dancing around the kitchen.  'Tis the Season!  Welcome Christmas 2011!


I'm not a person who has a set day to start Christmas preparations. I go by "feel".   In earlier days, I started in the fall - that was in the season where I pretended not to be craft-challenged.  It was also in the season where I had a list as long as my arm with all the people I wanted to acknowledge for Christmas - teachers, mailmen, hairdressers included.  So I started researching crafts in September and by October, I was well into it.  And by December 1st, I was done in.  Nowadays I keep it simple. I make my hair appointments in January, and I don't collect the mail until the Spring. And I have learned that contrary to popular opinion, gift cards are appreciated much more than the 'Teachers make a difference" painted wood crafts.

Another easy way to simplify is to exchange names  - just as much fun, with less commitment.  Our family has exchanged names for stockings for a long time.  This year, we decided to do this on  the day we went to visit our daughter, who moved to the big city in September.   It sparked a lot of memories.  One of which was the year my Dad got left off the list in my growing up family and it wasn't discovered until Christmas day.  To be sure that wouldn't happen to me, I put my name in twice.  Of course, everyone in my family knows that I go around picking up little things to put in everyone's stockings - and I add them at the last minute.  They all pretend to be surprised about this every year, but they are not.

Of course, the"B" word gets thrown around alot when it comes to Christmas.  This year, I don't plan to do a whole lot of baking.  I am the only one who eats it anyways.  So I will stick to the 'as needed' plan.  (As I have a craving, I will make it ).  I might invite my sister-in-law over to do baking for her birthday.  She likes that kind of thing.  I will send it home with her to save on calories - and then when I go to visit her and she brings it out, I will loudly exclaim how excellent the sugar cookies, and double fudge oatbars are.  I might even ask her for the recipe. MMMM!

Staff parties are always a big part of the season as well.  This year, I won't be able to go to my own staff party, but there's a couple of other parties I will attend.  We have been invited to go to a hockey game as a staff party for a co-worker of my husband's, and he is planning his own staff party for early December.  I will go to the gift exchange party at my own work (which is a different one from the staff party which is the one that 'significant others' are allowed to attend.) That's my favourite party - seeing what gifts people find for co-workers.  Most are so personal and well planned.

Concerts are another way to mark the Christmas celebration.  My #2 son decided to join choir this year, so we will attend his performance.  I am toying with the idea of joining the church production.  I can't quite decide if it will be too much - but I have a few more days to think about it. 

Yep, there's a lot more to Christmas than the 25th of December.  I am looking forward to enjoying each part of it - it's a good season to do that.  And I am going to start by finding the snowmen as soon as I press "Publish".  They've been very patiently waiting to add to the celebration, so I best not disappoint!  Yep, 'Tis the Season!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom