Thanksgiving Thoughts

Thanksgiving is a great time to stop and take stock.  I hope you have been doing this.  In the spirit of thankfulness, here are ten things from my thankful basket as a part of my Thanksgiving celebration:
  1. I love planning programs for Thanksgiving.  No matter how many times I take out the material, I always find some nuggets of truth to hang onto.  This year, I asked everyone in my groups to name something from their 'thankful' bucket.  The best answer? "I'm thankful for my family - mostly". 
  2. Today marks the one-year anniversary of moving to "The Pokeaway".  What a year it has been!  There have been so many changes in the house.  This morning, I was thinking about what it looked like when we moved here.  There were boxes everywhere.  We had building materials in the living room.  Our shower wasn't even installed and I had nowhere to wash clothes.  Today, my husband was installing some more window trims, the washing machine was running non-stop and I cleaned both bathrooms.  And tonight, we spent the evening sitting in the living room, enjoying a celebratory Chinese food dinner.
  3. One of my favorite things about living out here, is that I can walk along the dike  - sometimes with friends, sometimes with the dog, and sometimes by myself.  It is a quiet walk - and when I look around, I feel like I'm walking inside a postcard.  One day, I'm taking my camera along so I can share it with my cyber-readers.
  4. I love my bread maker.  It takes minutes to start the dough, and I still get the pleasure of finishing the dough to make cinnamon buns, or dinner rolls.  I get all the brownie points with less than half the work.
  5. Yesterday, I finished on a birthday project for my father-in-law that I'd been working on for a a couple of weeks.  I was so thankful for the people who contributed memories so that I could compile a "Gallery of Memories" for him.  I felt privileged to be able to read all the contributions and see all the people's lives he has touched. 
  6. I am thankful for the gift of laughter.  It powers my day.  There aren't very many days that go by, where I don't find something that strikes my funny bone. 
  7. I often think about a conversation I had with my mom who said that it was five years before she heard her mother's voice when they moved to Ethiopia.  I remember too, that when we read letters from people at 'home', that the news was several weeks, and sometimes months old.  Now, within minutes of news being released, we can touch base with people all over the world.  Any minute now, I am going to hear from my Dad, who has landed in Ethiopa to set up a school.
  8. I am thankful for the mix I have of days of paid work and days of freedom to plan my own schedule. 
  9. I am thankful that I can have access to places where I can fill up my soul, on my way to work (sermons on radio), or upon waking up, (online devotionals)
  10. I am thankful for the van, which has now over 300 000 kms on it - it has been such a great vehicle. It is so handy to be able to load in people and things.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am thankful for You! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom