To Everything, Turn Turn Turn..
The front door was all wrong. No feng shui. But hundreds of pounds of demolition material was carried out that front door before it was removed.
At one point the electrical wires hung precariously. The one where the front porch is now, was the most scary. One day, it sparked so much that we had to call my father-in-law away from a party he was at, to come and take a look at it. He is an electrician. He disconnected the wires. This was a good thing. From then on, we had a major amount of extension cords running from the barn. If the saw was being used, no one could shine a light. We became very creative in the use of alternate sources of light (for instance, from my cell phone, while my husband put the new front door on late one night).
The day that I came to the house and found the front door gone, and the windows gone, and a few more gaping holes, was a day of despair. I remember saying to the guy who was helping us out "I didn't think it could get any worse, but I guess I was wrong." The rains came right after we ripped the roof off. The sheep wandered through the house at will. We were constantly finding leftover junk from the previous owners - some of it buried beneath floor boards. I was WAY out of my comfort zone. Still, my husband laboured away good-naturedly. Every time we finished up a day of work, he would say "It's really coming, huh?". It became a bitter-sweet joke. Yes, it's really coming hon. I have no front door, and no windows, but I am really encouraged.

We spent a LOT of money at fast food restaurants. There was really no other choice. The boys worked hard all day, and I had no where to make a lunch. The fridge which was left behind, had no cord, because the mice had eaten through it. And the stove had become a convenient place to place boxes of nails, random tools and reams of plans. Fast food lunches became the tradition. I would phone and see what everyone wanted. I am not quite sure why I did that, because they always ordered the same thing. And then I would pick it up and bring it out to them, and they would climb to the top of the roof and eat it and enjoy the scenery. Then they would go back to bashing out walls and I would sweep and pick up the pieces. We did this for a whole year. In between, we saw our #1 son graduate, went to work, and fielded questions from curious on-lookers. "How's it going?" I got a little cagey about my answers. I didn't really know how it was going. For so many months, it looked like nothing. And then the windows went in, and I gained a little hope. Eventually, the doors went on, and hope grew. The siding guy showed up. More hope.

| The beginnings of the porch. |
| The "ugly garden" is now landscaped. |
| Landscaped. The diamond window. My husband sits there every morning and watches the school bus leave with our son. |
| The Cherry Tree in bloom. |
| Looking our the diamond window at the landscaped beauty. Looks easy when it is all done. |
| My bench on the front porch. I sit out here and play with the dogs, and drink my coffee, and visit with friends after our walks along the dike. |
Comments