Blessings in Disguise

They are installing new water mains along our street.  The people are very pleasant, and when they see you are turning into your driveway, instead of continuing down the road, they make every effort to scale back the work and let you through.

Since we have some room on our driveway, they have used it to dump loads of gravel, park huge excavators, and pile up pipes. 

The other morning, I was pulling out of the driveway, and because there were so many workers and big machines to my left, I decided to turn right and go around all the construction. The sun was in my eyes, I was on a bit of an incline and the van sat a little higher than a car.  So,  I drove right into the large hole they had dug, in preparation to install the pipe.  CRUUUNNNNCCHH.  Having got myself into the hole, I realized quickly, that I also had to get myself out of the hole.  I avoided eye contact with anyone and CRUUNNCCHH drove out of the hole, and kept going. 

Then I called my husband, who hadn't left yet, to alert him of the road hazard just outside of the driveway.  Then I looked down and say the tire pressure light had come on.  I thought I would drive a little farther to see if it would go off again.  It didn't.

Finally at the end of the second road, I pulled over and got out to look at the damage.  Yep.  The front right tire was completely flat.  Now I was feeling rather foolish.  And stranded.

Fortunately, about that time, my husband came by.  He had been alerted by the construction crew that his wife's tire had popped and she might need a hand.  Both of us had somewhere to be right then.  I called my daughter, and she kindly agreed to let me use her car, so we piled all my gear into the truck, parked the van on the side of the road, drove home, and then transferred all my gear to the car.  Fortunately, I hadn't forgotten how to drive standard, so I was o.k. for the day.

The next day, my husband and I took a field trip over to the van.  The tire had not healed itself.  We set about getting the spare tire out.  It wasn't too long until a neighbour on that street came over to say hi.  He asked if it was our vehicle.  I sighed and told him the story.  "Oh", he said. "I thought it had been parked there because the insurance had run out".  This was something I had not realized. 

I began to think that God had saved me from some other disaster with this flat tire.  Who knows how long I would have been driving around with no insurance, if this had not happened.  Sometimes, it is the things that mess up our days, which are blessings in disguise. 

Comments

J said…
I love the photo for this one, Marni. I love, too, your propensity to always look for the good in a situation!

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom