The Gift

Recently we were invited to one of the young cousin's bridal shower.  I was honoured to be invited.  She made it easy on us, by registering at several different places.  So my mother-in-law and I set off to find the 'perfect gift' for her.  We looked at the list and narrowed down what we would buy. Eventually we decided on serving spoons/forks and placemats.  She bought the spoons and I bought the placemats.  I said that I would take care of wrapping them up.  On my way home, I decided to drop into the dollar store and see if there might be some pretty boxes - and I found this one.  I picked out the ribbon to co-ordinate with some of the colours I saw in the box.   
I am not a terribly precise person when it comes to making gifts come alive in the wrapping.  This may surprise some, because I actually had a job as a wrapper for Birk's Jewellers when I was, just out of high school.  I look back on that experience with some disbelief.  For several months, I wrapped the blue boxes that were sent down to the basement, and yet, I never really 'got it'.  I am quite sure that some of those customers got their presents home and looked askance at the odd shaped edges I managed to cut and the somewhat sloppy corners which didn't quite fit under the ribbons. 
Every time I wrap presents now, I mutter to no one in particular 'I used to be a wrapper at Birk's Jewellers, if you can believe it'. 

However, on this occasion, I outdid myself.  I got the ribbon to appear messy/curly, and I individually wrapped the serving spoon with more curling ribbon and then tucked them into the neatly folded placemats inside. 
I was so pleased with the effect, that I left it on my table for a few days to admire my handiwork. 
I wonder if Birk's Jewellers might consider hiring me back

Comments

Beatrice, B said…
Birks worthy.
Beautiful!!!
Bravo!!

B

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom