Run for Water

A few weeks ago, we got notice that Run for Water was coming by our place.    RUN FOR WATER partners with HOPE International to help Ethiopian villagers acquire the clean drinking they need.  This fundraiser was for people who are crazy enough to enjoy running, to sign up and run 5km. 10km,  a half marathon, or a marathon.  [ 42.195 km ]  This year, the event drew 3,500 runners, about 1,100 more than last year. They raised $203,000 for clean water projects in Ethiopia. Last year, they raised $150,000.  Anything to do with Ethiopia is of special interest to me. 

We found out that they were running past our house, so we sat out on the newly minted deck, on our swing bench and hooted and hollered for them as they ran.  It was a beautiful morning.  The sun was shining, the breeze was blowing, and it was so exciting to see all these people running past us, in their quest to help a great cause, while accomplishing personal goals.  Check out the link (Clik on the title of this post and it will take you there.)
Some people ran together.  When I found out it was Km 19 of 42, I was amazed that they had the energy to talk!

Some people waved at us me.  My husband was more circumspect than I.

The cat decided to make a run for her own water.

My beautiful hanging basket which temporarily distracted me.

If I was going, I'd be biking like these guys.

Our neighbours faked running, as they went down to the corner to cheer the people on, and pass out energy slurps.

Not sure what the biker was doing, but he looked official.


This guy ran so fast, I barely caught his picture as he disappeared behind the willow tree. (See him? By the fence)
Other neighbours came out to watch too.

It was a very exciting day.  And I felt completely spoiled sitting there, in my jammies and slippers,  watching while they were doing all the hard work.  I hope they felt celebrated as they ran past us.  I was very proud of them, even though I didn't know them!

Comments

FJ said…
Marn, the font you used for the pictures is VERY small for those of us with challenged vision :). I love how you enter into the spirit of situations in your life. Your blog is a high spot in my days. Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom