Reading between the lines

By the time the end of June arrives, I always feel like I have been through a whirlpool.   The days leading up to the last exams are chock full of homework assignments, studying and trying to keep track of who's doing what, and where.  One email from the school,  said something about a sports banquet.  Yadee yadee yadee.  I was in the middle of a bunch of other things and only took the time to read the subject line.  And since it had been 'opened', I didn't remember that I hadn't actually read the content. 

A few days later, I saw a ticket on the desk.  I asked my son what that was about and he said that it was for the sports banquet.  I asked if we were supposed to go and he said he didn't think so.  I took it off my 'to-do' list.  But I made sure he got to the sports banquet.  It was a free meal after all, and he is a growing concern. 

Turns out, he got an award at said banquet.  M.I.P. on the soccer team.  (He said it was for the "Most Important Player" and we half-believed him).  A trophy now sits on his dresser engraved with his name.  That night, I went back to the 'sports banquet' email and re-read it.  It turned out that was the email that told me he was receiving an award at the sports banquet.  Boo Mommy, boooo.

A few days later, there was another email from the school.  This one's subject line was "Awards Night".  Having learned my lesson,  I didn't stop reading at the subject line.  I read the whole thing.  It told me that my son would be receiving a 'top mark in a subject' award.  I did a little happy dance and sent the email onto my husband. 

I had already missed one opportunity to celebrate the skills and hard work he had put into this year, and I was determined not to miss another.  It was so exciting to see him walk down to get the award for top mark in Art.  He is a very talented artist and it was wonderful to see him be recognized for it.  After the ceremony, and the requisite pictures with the proud mama and more pictures with the grandparents and the nieces , we went off to Dairy Queen to celebrate with a Blizzard.  I was so glad I'd read between the lines on this one. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom