I GOT THE POWAH!
I have written before about how much fun I have had with Craigslist. We have bought and sold, and found for nothing, all with good success for several years. Last week, something happened to change my mind.
We had advertised an item for sale, and received an email asking if we would take a cheque. After talking it over with my husband, I agreed to the offer, and sent my address so the cheque could be sent. Several times after that, the man checked back with me to see if it had arrived, which it did, about a week after he sent it.
However, when I opened it up, the amount on the cheque was 58 times the amount I'd asked. Inserted in the envelope was a typewritten message, with no date or signature, indicating that I must now cash the cheque, and wire the remainder. via Western Union, to a shipper overseas, who would take care of delivery of the "item ". I was terribly confused by this; having never dealt with this type of transaction before, and decided to take it to the bank to see if this money order was legitimate. When I explained to the bank what the circumstances were, I was strongly advised NOT to cash the cheque, because I would then become a part of a money laundering scheme.
My next stop was the Federal Police Station. I explained what had happened, and was handed a sheet with a phone number and website to contact about my situation. I went home and dialed the number, but was disappointed to find that the office was closed for the weekend. Now, I felt like I was standing in an open field, facing a whipped-up storm by myself with no defense . This feeling was compounded, when at 2:47 a.m. the next morning, the phone rang. It was "the shipper" demanding to know why we hadn't wired him the money. I began to be fearful and started imagining all the things this group was going to do to me and my precious family, if we didn't meet their demands. It kept me up for the rest of the night.
In the morning, I decided to call the local police station and ask their advice about the situation. The lady on the phone was very calming, took my particulars, asked me to print out all the communication, and promised that someone would come and talk to me sometime that day. This was comforting to me, since I felt our safety was compromised. True to their promise, a Constable, came in the afternoon and spent an hour with us, looking over the information, and reassuring us, that the people who were involved in this were fraudsters. He said it was like they were international panhandlers, who approached 100 people to give them money, and 95 people would say no, but 5 would say yes, and they would make their money on the 5.
Then he said something significant. "Write them and give them my name and email. Tell them I am investigating them for fraud". In that moment, I suddenly felt empowered. I could use the good Constable's name with these people, and he would champion my cause.
After the Constable left, I ran to the computer and wrote a very strongly worded email and told these scoundrels, never to contact me again, that I would no longer answer emails or phone calls from them, and if they needed information, the Constable would deal with it. I had an image come to mind, of me standing beside the Constable (who was about 6'4") and yelling at these rogues "Don't mess with the Marnster! I have the Constable by my side, and he'll come after you, with all the power of the law!!!!!!!"
Since that time, I have received several threatening emails, which I have forwarded on to the Constable. He in turn, sent them an email, telling them that he had commenced an investigation into fraud, and to refrain from abusive emails. He said, if they wanted to prove their innocence, they could do so by contacting him with the correct information. So far, they have not responded to his offer to prove anything.
Several days later, I took the 'money order' to the bank which had 'issued' it. It turned out to be fraudulent in many ways: it was typewritten, the amount of money was more than the bank would actually let a money order hold (one penny over their limit of 1000$ and it would have to be a certified cheque), and the numbers didn't match up. The bank manager got involved and confiscated the 'money order' to take it out of circulation. She showed me a whole website of related fraud schemes that were being circulated.
When I left the bank, it occurred to me that this experience had been a spiritual lesson to me. I am just little old me, facing the world. I am defenseless, a sitting duck, powerless to fight a battle against unseen,sinister forces and who seek my harm. And yet, I have a Constable on my side. GOD is not only on my side, He is BY my side. And because of His Power, I can stand strong against the forces of evil. "Don't mess with the Marnster!!!!! I've Got GOD by my side!"
" The name of the Lord is a Strong Tower, the righteous run into it, and they are saved." Proverbs 18:10
"The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me? The LORD is with me; he is my helper. I will look in triumph on my enemies." Psalm 118: 6,7
We had advertised an item for sale, and received an email asking if we would take a cheque. After talking it over with my husband, I agreed to the offer, and sent my address so the cheque could be sent. Several times after that, the man checked back with me to see if it had arrived, which it did, about a week after he sent it.
However, when I opened it up, the amount on the cheque was 58 times the amount I'd asked. Inserted in the envelope was a typewritten message, with no date or signature, indicating that I must now cash the cheque, and wire the remainder. via Western Union, to a shipper overseas, who would take care of delivery of the "item ". I was terribly confused by this; having never dealt with this type of transaction before, and decided to take it to the bank to see if this money order was legitimate. When I explained to the bank what the circumstances were, I was strongly advised NOT to cash the cheque, because I would then become a part of a money laundering scheme.
My next stop was the Federal Police Station. I explained what had happened, and was handed a sheet with a phone number and website to contact about my situation. I went home and dialed the number, but was disappointed to find that the office was closed for the weekend. Now, I felt like I was standing in an open field, facing a whipped-up storm by myself with no defense . This feeling was compounded, when at 2:47 a.m. the next morning, the phone rang. It was "the shipper" demanding to know why we hadn't wired him the money. I began to be fearful and started imagining all the things this group was going to do to me and my precious family, if we didn't meet their demands. It kept me up for the rest of the night.
In the morning, I decided to call the local police station and ask their advice about the situation. The lady on the phone was very calming, took my particulars, asked me to print out all the communication, and promised that someone would come and talk to me sometime that day. This was comforting to me, since I felt our safety was compromised. True to their promise, a Constable, came in the afternoon and spent an hour with us, looking over the information, and reassuring us, that the people who were involved in this were fraudsters. He said it was like they were international panhandlers, who approached 100 people to give them money, and 95 people would say no, but 5 would say yes, and they would make their money on the 5.
Then he said something significant. "Write them and give them my name and email. Tell them I am investigating them for fraud". In that moment, I suddenly felt empowered. I could use the good Constable's name with these people, and he would champion my cause.
After the Constable left, I ran to the computer and wrote a very strongly worded email and told these scoundrels, never to contact me again, that I would no longer answer emails or phone calls from them, and if they needed information, the Constable would deal with it. I had an image come to mind, of me standing beside the Constable (who was about 6'4") and yelling at these rogues "Don't mess with the Marnster! I have the Constable by my side, and he'll come after you, with all the power of the law!!!!!!!"
Since that time, I have received several threatening emails, which I have forwarded on to the Constable. He in turn, sent them an email, telling them that he had commenced an investigation into fraud, and to refrain from abusive emails. He said, if they wanted to prove their innocence, they could do so by contacting him with the correct information. So far, they have not responded to his offer to prove anything.
Several days later, I took the 'money order' to the bank which had 'issued' it. It turned out to be fraudulent in many ways: it was typewritten, the amount of money was more than the bank would actually let a money order hold (one penny over their limit of 1000$ and it would have to be a certified cheque), and the numbers didn't match up. The bank manager got involved and confiscated the 'money order' to take it out of circulation. She showed me a whole website of related fraud schemes that were being circulated.
When I left the bank, it occurred to me that this experience had been a spiritual lesson to me. I am just little old me, facing the world. I am defenseless, a sitting duck, powerless to fight a battle against unseen,sinister forces and who seek my harm. And yet, I have a Constable on my side. GOD is not only on my side, He is BY my side. And because of His Power, I can stand strong against the forces of evil. "Don't mess with the Marnster!!!!! I've Got GOD by my side!"
" The name of the Lord is a Strong Tower, the righteous run into it, and they are saved." Proverbs 18:10
"The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me? The LORD is with me; he is my helper. I will look in triumph on my enemies." Psalm 118: 6,7

Comments
A tough lesson to learn, for sure. And I'm sure your mind was racing at times, because all you know is what has been told you, or what info you've provided, and you have no clue as to who is on the other end of the email/phone/scam.
Indeed, you've put your entry under ADRENALIN RUSHES; and LIFE LESSONS. Good choices. Glad your life will be getting back to "normal" now....
xo
clwl