Seasons

Last week, my husband and I attended a banquet in his honour.  There were over 300 people there.  Well, ok., it wasn't exactly just for him, but because he was being honoured, and I only knew one other honouree, I will stick with my original story.  Earlier in the month, he had received notice that he had been chosen as "Girls Senior Coach of the Year".  He would be presented the award at the banquet.  For a while he tossed around the idea of not attending.  I disagreed heartily.  I wanted him to be part of a public toast to all he has brought to this job.

My husband has spent fifteen years, volunteering to coach soccer.  He has poured his heart and soul into it.  He has a passion for excellence, on and off the soccer field.  Over the years, I have seen him head out to practices and games, regardless of the wind and the weather. He has coached close to 150 kids. Some of them have spent one soccer season with him; others have been with him for multiple years. He coached our daughter from the time she started soccer as a little girl, right up until the end of the U-18 year.  He has coached both our sons as well.  At times, he coached all of  our kids at once - on different nights.  When our daughter moved onto the ladies league then he took on another team and has coached them for the past three years. 

I have had a ringside seat in this commitment.  He has not only been a coach, but a mentor as well.  I have seen him connect with these kids on a deeper level, than just what the skill-set on the field required. He has spoken into their lives about life issues and gone to bat for them when they have asked for his help. He has gone the extra mile, over and over again, to make sure that the kids get to the field, and home again. This past Valentine's Day, he made a trip to the various schools that the girls attended, to personally deliver a valentine and a chocolate treat to each of them.    Many times when we go into town, we run into kids he has coached through the years.  It is clear that there is a connection that goes farther than just the hours spent showing them how to kick the ball.

It seemed somehow appropriate that he was chosen to receive the "Coach of the Year" award, since as of this season, he is stepping away from the role of coach.  I know he feels a little pang about it.  Even though he feels that it is the right time, he told me he had a moment at the end of the last game when the last ball was kicked.  He marked it quietly - no one else noticed.

I am so proud of him, and the intangibles he has given to the kids.  He has consistently modeled commitment and perseverance, good humour and excellence.  I am proud to be by his side. 

Going up to receive his award
Medallions for the team

Comments

Anonymous said…
Very nice tribute to a great volunteer! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom