Nice Shirt
When the Minister of Finance is about to table the budget before the House of Commons, it is tradition that he don a new pair of shoes in the tone which matches the kind of budget he will present to the House. I have often wondered why he does this. Apparently it is a signal to those around about the kinds of budgetary measures which are about to come down the federal pike.
I thought about that this morning again, and I think I know a different reason. It is to make himself feel better about a job that is very tough to administer. No one wants to hear what new taxes will be charged, or which cuts to which services will have to be implemented. The Finance Minister cannot look forward to a bunch of invitations to hang out after he finishes presenting his budget. He's not going to be that popular. So what better to make him feel extraordinarily groovy, than a great pair of shiny new shoes!
I tried out a version of this idea this morning, as I tried to think of some ways to get myself motivated to drag out the file box which contains all the receipts for doing our taxes. I donned a new (to me) sweater that would give me a certain feeling of pizzaz. I wore the most comfortable pair of pants. I made a great cup of tea. I put on makeup. And then I got out "The Box" and started getting to it.
And now, my table is covered in paper, and file folders, and paper clips and staplers. I have my Excel program running at top speed. My flash drive is in overdrive, from transferring so much information.
I am having A BLAST! This is extrodinarily groovy!
All because I put on the right kind of clothes. Thanks, Mr. Minister of Finance for the great idea.
I thought about that this morning again, and I think I know a different reason. It is to make himself feel better about a job that is very tough to administer. No one wants to hear what new taxes will be charged, or which cuts to which services will have to be implemented. The Finance Minister cannot look forward to a bunch of invitations to hang out after he finishes presenting his budget. He's not going to be that popular. So what better to make him feel extraordinarily groovy, than a great pair of shiny new shoes!
I tried out a version of this idea this morning, as I tried to think of some ways to get myself motivated to drag out the file box which contains all the receipts for doing our taxes. I donned a new (to me) sweater that would give me a certain feeling of pizzaz. I wore the most comfortable pair of pants. I made a great cup of tea. I put on makeup. And then I got out "The Box" and started getting to it.
And now, my table is covered in paper, and file folders, and paper clips and staplers. I have my Excel program running at top speed. My flash drive is in overdrive, from transferring so much information.
I am having A BLAST! This is extrodinarily groovy!
All because I put on the right kind of clothes. Thanks, Mr. Minister of Finance for the great idea.

Comments