Just as He said

Every Easter Sunday, I imagine those ladies making their way down to the tomb, knowing that they did not have the physical strength to do anything to that heavy stone.  Why did they decide to go anyways?   Probably, because they were women.  They thought that they would just go there and hope for the best.  Maybe their conversation went something like this "We need to get there and embalm the body before it's too late to do so.  Let's just make our way, and maybe those big strong men guarding the tomb will help us move the stone."

00411764.jpgWomen are generally known for being movers and shakers in the world.  Once women decide to do something, they don't let anything stand in their way. As the Mama said on "My Big Fat Greek Wedding": 'The men may be the head of the house but the women are the neck and they can turn the head anyway they want. ' The women weren't about to let a little thing like a heavy tombstone stop them from this important task.

Still, as they made their way toward the tomb, they knew they didn't have the physical strength to move the stone.  They probably brainstormed all the ways that they could make use of what they had to get the stone to roll a little, if 'Plan A' didn't work.  A wedge?  A big rope?  Something to put under it to get it to slide?  Maybe one of them said "All I need is a few inches of space between the stone and the tomb,  and I can get in.  Then you can pass me the spices and I'll help you get through the hole."

I think it is just a little funny, that when they got to the tomb, the earthquake happened, and all those big strong men guarding the tomb were so completely terrified by the appearance of the angel, that they fell over like dead men.[Matthew 28:2]  Mark [16:4] records that the women were alarmed, but still, they didn't faint.  They took it all in. After all, they'd been through childbirth.  What's more frightening than that? 

They might have been so focused on wondering how to move the stone, that they only saw it was rolled away.  "Huh. Well, ladies, we don't have to worry anymore. We can get in, no problem now."  I feel certain that one or more of them took a step towards the tomb, as if to complete the task of embalming Jesus' body.

Did the angel have a little half smile on his face, when he said "Why do you seek the dead among the living?  He is not here.  He has risen, as he said."?  I think so.  And I imagine it wasn't very long understanding dawned on their faces.   Women get nuances much quicker than men do.  I am sure they recognized the full circle of Jesus' death and resurrection quickly, because they had heard Jesus speak about it time after time.    I imagine the when the angel saw the light dawning in their souls, he would have nodded just slightly. 

Perhaps, like the shepherds, who left their sheep to go and worship the baby Jesus, and then told everyone they met about Him, the women left their spices  at the tomb, and ran to tell the disciples.  No need for grieving.  Wipe away the tears.  The dark night of sadness that engulfing their souls is over.. ... He is Risen. ...... Just as He said! 

Comments

Anonymous said…
He is Risen Indeed!

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom