Birthday Treasures
Today, I got to spend the day celebrating my husband's birthday. I took it as a holiday, just for a start. It was a fun day. I did a few errands in the morning, and then in the afternoon, I went and bought him his birthday presents and got some things for his birthday supper. Buying something for him is always a dillema. Should I buy something practical? (Clothes) Or something useful? (Tools) Or something that I want? (A new lipstick) Usually, if I have a brilliant idea, I find out afterwards that he has been way ahead of me and bought it already. One year, I bought him a router table, and not too long after that, he proudly showed me the router table that he had found on sale. So I had to take mine back. Then, not wanting to be outdone, I thought I would get a router book. I reasoned that because he likes manuals, he might like to read up on how to use the router. A couple days after that, he came home and said "Well, I did what you always do. I saved some money and so I spent some more. " and he pulled out a router book. I comforted myself with the fact that I seemed to be getting to know him well enough to think of the right kinds of gifts. But after this incident, it was a rule, that he wasn't allowed to buy anything for himself close to any holidays or his birthdays. Today, I was ever so pleased with myself for deciding to get him started on the landscaping around The Pokeaway. I found some double play heather and some blue fescue (wouldn't that make a wonderful Country Music song? BLU-UU-EE-EEE FESCUE!). Now all he has to do is fence the sheep and he can start planting! And he can wear his new boots that I bought, in a moment of being practical, when he does all that landscaping.
Comments