Woman Power

Back in December, I got an invitation to be part of a celebration of 100th anniversary of "The International Day of Women". A group in Ireland has been putting together a display of postcards from around the world, to celebrate women. I am not very artistic. But I thought it would be fun to put in a submission, for posterity.


For a while, I thought of gathering pictures of women around the world, and putting a caption "You are Beautiful". But then life got in the way, and I didn't get to it.


A few weeks ago, my boss (who's sister-in-law is heading up the project) reminded me about it. She wondered if the "Art and Music" group I run might want to put in their own submissions. I thought that was a great idea, and set them up with their own postcards. However, my submission got put on the back burner, until this week, when I was enjoying poor health. When I found this picture in my archives, I decided to pay tribute to my own sweet Mom. [The posting below is not the final product, but it is a close facsimile.]


At the time this picture was taken, my mom was working as the hostess for the dining room at the boarding school, and taking care of a dorm full of other people's children, as well as teaching part time at the school in whatever capacity was asked of her. My sister and I were at the preschool stage, and she had four other children - two in high school and two in middle school. And I think she considered herself a "Stay At Home" mom.


In the picture, she is about the same age as I am now.


When I found this quote, I thought it fit perfectly. I don't really understand how much work it took for her to keep her family together, because I don't have near the amount of responsibility she shouldered in that season of her life. But as a mom, I know some of the roles she played in raising us.


I am so grateful for her example. She persevered through many "dangers, toils and pains". She always encouraged us to be the best that we could be. She stepped into shoes which she didn't know how to fill, and put her own footprint on the role.


I mailed the postcards yesterday. It may take a while to get there, and I'm not even sure they will reach Ireland before the deadline - the postmaster told me it could take 'up to three weeks'- but in any case, I was happy to have entered into the celebration of women, and in particular my mom, who is always close to my heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom