I have become a true native of this region. This is between you and me and the fencepost. It has to remain in "The vault". Don't spill the beans. Deal? O.k.


Well, this morning, I had an appointment to get to by 10. Yesterday was a snow day, so there was still lots of snow on the van windshield. And it was mucky out, because immediately following the snow storm, was a rainstorm. Slush abounded. And puddles.


Still, I headed out in my shoes. I had boots, but who knows where they ended up? I stepped lightly. But first, I put the garbage can in to the van - and left the door open. It was too big to fit in the van, the way it was, but I didn't want to roll it down the driveway. My feet would get too wet. So I held onto the handle with one hand, and backed out with the other.


So far so good. When I put it in drive, I had to look around the large whack of snow still on the windshield. I couldn't find the wiper-brushee thingie - even though I know I have one somewhere. And time was a ticking. Maybe if I just drove fast enough, it would fly off the windshield. I could still see out a full 1/3 of the windshield, so what was the problem? On second thought, maybe my wipers would do the trick. I turned them on. Some success, but the snow was too heavy to actually move much more than an inch or so. So I peered out the 1/3 I could see out of, drove on ahead to the gate.

I got out of of the van and opened the gate. This is no small feat when the metal of the gate is colder than a freezer. I wished for my gloves, but couldn't find them before I had to leave, so I had to pull down the sleeves of my jacket to give me a bit of protection. Then I yanked on the gate, taking care to open it only as far as I needed to so the van could squeak through.


Then I got back in the van and put it in drive. I did very well negotiating through the narrow passageway, until the garbage can and the open door reached the gate. Crunch. And there went the garbage can, toppling over into the slush. Drat. At least I had bought a garbage can with strong handles, so the garbage stayed in the can. I got out again, and rescued it. By now my feet were totally soaked.


Back into the van, holding onto the garbage can until I got through the gate. Out of the van. Close the gate (pulling my jacket sleeves low again). Then I bit the bullet and clear the windshield of more of the snow, so that I could see out. Oh, happy day! The wipers took the snow away. Well not all of it, but it was better than a kick in the head. I got back in the van, turned on my signal, and away I went. And I reached my appointment within five minutes of the start time. Considering the adventure, I was happy with the outcome. See, I'm a true native. Now remember "mums the word".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom