Carolling, Carolling all the way
While the music is festive, and a cheap way to celebrate the coming of the season, I have to say most of it is very cheesy. And I find that a turn-off (the radio). I am not sure why the stations have a need to make sure that every hour has a rendition of "A Holly Jolly Christmas" , or "Rockin' around the Christmas Tree". There are hundreds and thousands of Christmas albums to choose from, with hundreds and thousands of songs which have more message than "I Want an Alien for Christmas." So I have resorted to listening to my own collection. I like it much better. And I can switch up the CDs three at a time for even more variety, now that I have my stereo back. Yay! Merry Christmas to me!
[On a side note about radio carols, I think the worst Christmas carol I ever heard, was a heavy-metal band screaming out "Silent Night". It definitely made my list for "Never Again" carols. ]
For some time, I have honoured my own tradition, which is to buy myself a new Christmas CD each year. My stash of twenty or so, grew this year by two. Sometimes there's an advantage to being bad at math. If I grow out of the CDs I can always give them away to someone with fresh ears. Here are some of my favourites:
My John Tesh CD - He used to be on "Entertainment Tonight". Who knew he was a talented musician?! It was given to me by a very good friend. I don't think she knew what she started because it gave me the idea to start a collection.
It is an instrumental CD. I love to have it on when I am wrapping gifts, baking, or cleaning the bathroom, whichever comes first.
My Richard Clayderman CD - He is a piano genius. I was first introduced to him by dear friends in Australia. When I heard he had a Christmas album, I couldn't resist. He plays a mix of carols and classical music. As soon as I say his name, I think of his rendition of "Rudolf the Rednose Reindeer", which is a nice easy-listening version.
My Bebo Norman CD - he sings a variety of carols which are newer, with a mix of oldies, but one of my favorite is "Rebel Jesus". which is a carol without being a carol.
My James Taylor CD - His version of "Jingle Bells" is quite fun. And he also sings some lesser known carols such a "Bleak Midwinter", and "Some Children See Him". Both of these songs make you think.
My Paul Brandt CD - I love "Christmas Convoy", and also the line in his song "Hands" which says
When people ask what Christmas means to me
I think of the Prince up on that Christmas tree
I tell them about how His love set me free
When He changed my life with a touch of His hands
With His hands
My Sherene Cropley CD. She is a local artist and her version of "Silent Night", sung with her son is just beautiful.
My Oscar Peterson CD. It was a gift from my very musical brother. It is a great album to play when you have housework or baking to do. Lots of the familiar carols all jazzed up.
My New Song CD. Don't tell my daughter. This one is actually hers, but it ended up in my collection. They do a really fun version of "You're a Mean One Mr. Grinch", which I made my staff choir lip synch one year. And the song "Christmas Shoes" is on there, which is a tear-jerker, especially if you miss your mom at Christmas (which I do).
My Josh Groban CD - He sings "I'll be Home for Christmas" and honestly, I was crying by the end of it for the first few hundred times I listened, . Before the song and after, soldiers who are fighting in Afghanastan give greetings to their families and. Big Sniff. Here's a little bit of that video...
"Christmas on the Back Porch" isn't my CD, but I try to listen to it whenever possible, when I am at work. It is delightful - banjo, guitar, and all sorts of 'back porch' instruments combine to play very familiar carols. It is easy to listen to, and is great background music for a discussion in a music session. I got it in a bargain bin at a local bookstore, and kind of wish I'd bought it for myself instead.
Homespun Christmas CD's - given to me by a couple of friends and co-workers. It's always fun to listen to their picks.
If you come to my house for a Christmas celebration, I promise to let you choose what album we listen to. You could even bring your own album. It may inspire me to buy it for my collection. Merry Christmas to me!

Comments