Time Change(s) Everything

I am fortunate. Most of my days are spent doing things I enjoy. I am truly, very blessed.
So I feel a little bad about complaining about the 'time change day'. But I'm going to anyway. For some reason, I have a very hard time changing up my body clock in the fall. The spring is not so bad. But the fall? It gets me every year, no matter what I try.

This year, I gave it another go. I started by turning the clocks ahead almost 12 hours ahead of time. I made a late supper, which was actally a regular hour supper according to what would happen the next day. I went to bed according to the new time. But then I woke up every hour on the hour after that, wondering if I'd slept in, and how many more hours it would be dark and if I would truly be able to get myself up at the new time.

I had to teach Sunday School, so finally I looked at my cell-phone to see what time it was. It was 6:42 a.m. I had to be at church at 8:30 a.m. I wasn't quite finished my preparations, so I thought I might as well get up and get going. So I did. But not before looking at another clock, which was when I realized my cell phone had not made the automatic change, so it was an hour earlier than I thought it was. Only it was the same time as it had been the day before that, so my body was ready to rise and shine. My body was, but my head was full of fuzzy, half-formed thoughts. Thoughts like "I am definitely having a nap this afternoon.", and "Why in the world couldn't I take advantage of an extra hour of sleep, instead of waking up so much in the night?", and "What in the world is this lesson supposed to be about?"

I stumbled my way through the morning. I tried to compensate by drinking coffee, which is something I rarely do. Then I ate as much gum as I could, because I could sense that I had death breath. I don't even know if what I taught made sense to the children. I thought of staying for the sermon, after I finished teaching, but I was practically falling asleep on my feet, so I decided to head home for a nap. I had a very long nap, and when I woke up, it was only 3:00 p.m. Half my day was still in front of me. I washed windows. I went for a walk. I cleaned out the storage room (again). And then it was 5:00. The day just never seemed to end.

The nicest thing was that I had arranged a coffee date in the evening. By the time we met, I was feeling half human again. But let's not have time change day for awhile o.k.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom