'SWinDY!!


I am wind lagged. It is similar to being jet lagged, only this weariness comes from experiencing a marathon windstorm. For five days, it has been ripping through our prairies like an angry dragon lashing out with a ferocious tail. It barely dies down, when it begins again. It drives the temperature lower, and bites the faces of anyone who dares to step outside. It shows no
interest in moving on. I am tired of this five-day temper tantrum. I need a rest!
This wind is no whistler. This wind is a rumbler. It begins on the field and flies through the willows, and whips around the evergreens. It shakes the house - as if it had the power to turn the house inside out. I half believe it.

Tonight, I came up the driveway, and saw what I thought was great garbage bags of leaves. But it was the sheep taking shelter any way they could; they were leaning up against the house, and the hedge, in a desperate attempt to find the leeward side. I almost joined them.

Our neighbours referred to the windstorms with a half smile when they talked about what it would be like to live out here. "That's the thing about it. The winds can really be ferocious." I smiled and nodded, but hadn't a clue what they were talking about. I naively thought they meant an evening of windstorms, not the better part of a week. They might have meant weeks? I hope not.
Since we haven't wintered in this house yet, we are still discovering the sounds our house makes in various weather patterns. There are many sound effects produced by the windstorm which require detective work. Is that the roof flying off? Is that the floorboards coming away ? Or is it a air vent working over time, or the plywood decking, which the wind is heaving up to make the house shake like an earthquake has arrived?

I go to sleep, only to be awakened again when the storm clobbers us once more. I lie awake and wonder what it will look like in the morning when I venture out. Will I be able to pick up the debris, or will I have to hire a backhoe? I half expect the power to cut out. I turn over to check the clock. Only five minutes since the last check.

I've had it with wind lag. Book me a ticket to Florida. I'm ready to experiment with jet lag.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom