We have a joke, my husband and I. When it comes to Friday night, we often discuss what we should do, to celebrate the end of the week. And we generally narrow it down to an oft-repeated option. But first, we have to brainstorm.
I think this came about because when we were going out, someone inflicted a book on us about dating. Along with the regular advice (how far apart a couple should sit, to avoid temptation...the differences between guys and girls....communication techniques...) it had a section on "Things To Do On A Date". The list was long. And mostly boring. Does any red-blooded couple really want a tour of the local cheese factory? Or a visit with the forest ranger? Puhleees.
However, every time he asked me out on a 'date', we felt obligated to discuss these options, and see if any of them would be a good fit. After a couple of seconds, we would default to our favourite.
Our dating life was uneventful. Mostly it was me getting up at five a.m. on weekends to help him muck out the barns at a local farm, where he worked on Saturdays. Then more fun, with me watching him work on restoring his old Chevy. Every once in a while, we punctuated it by going to the local fireworks, or getting in a canoe, and going down the river. But really, our dating life was a harbinger for our married life. We enjoy working side by side, and don't need 50$ dinners out to connect.
So tonight, it happened again. He called me before he left work, to discuss our plan of action. First, he asked about dinner ideas. I said "Do you want to get pizza?" He said "I'm asking you to give me some ideas about dinner." So I made three suggestions "We could have pizza, or the farmer sausage, or soup and a sandwich..." And then he said "Why don't we get pizza." To which I burst out laughing and then finished his idea with "And then, maybe we could get a video?"
Ah, the life of two people who know each other that well.
I think this came about because when we were going out, someone inflicted a book on us about dating. Along with the regular advice (how far apart a couple should sit, to avoid temptation...the differences between guys and girls....communication techniques...) it had a section on "Things To Do On A Date". The list was long. And mostly boring. Does any red-blooded couple really want a tour of the local cheese factory? Or a visit with the forest ranger? Puhleees.
However, every time he asked me out on a 'date', we felt obligated to discuss these options, and see if any of them would be a good fit. After a couple of seconds, we would default to our favourite.
Our dating life was uneventful. Mostly it was me getting up at five a.m. on weekends to help him muck out the barns at a local farm, where he worked on Saturdays. Then more fun, with me watching him work on restoring his old Chevy. Every once in a while, we punctuated it by going to the local fireworks, or getting in a canoe, and going down the river. But really, our dating life was a harbinger for our married life. We enjoy working side by side, and don't need 50$ dinners out to connect.
So tonight, it happened again. He called me before he left work, to discuss our plan of action. First, he asked about dinner ideas. I said "Do you want to get pizza?" He said "I'm asking you to give me some ideas about dinner." So I made three suggestions "We could have pizza, or the farmer sausage, or soup and a sandwich..." And then he said "Why don't we get pizza." To which I burst out laughing and then finished his idea with "And then, maybe we could get a video?"
Ah, the life of two people who know each other that well.
Comments
and charming...
thx.
c