What I Do All Day
Haven't heard from me in a while? I've been buried under an avalanche of much todo about nothing.
The past several weeks have been filled with looking through stuff, and finding ways to deal with it. I have become the queen of re-purposing. In the old days, it used to be called 'this- old- thing?- yah,- it -will- work'. But now, the phrase has been updated to make it sound all hip. So I have been re-purposing a set of plastic drawers to act as my kitchen cabinets. I re-purposed another set of plastic drawers to hold the office supplies, since our desk is so much smaller than it was. Then I re-purposed small square containers to become a silverware holder. And so on and so forth, until I decided to re-purpose a chocolate bar which is supposed to be for the trick or treaters, to help me get through all this repurposing.
And what is it about stuff that is so attracted to the table. Things like tools, envelopes, newspapers, things to mail etc. Does the table look like flypaper ? . SHUCHHHHKKK ! That's the sound of the items adhering themselves to the table. SIGGGHHHHH. That's the sound of me looking at it and wondering to start. (Enter one more chocolate bar)
Add to that, a super-human effort to get organized for a seminar I did yesterday for a conference, and you understand why I use the word avalanche.
I am slowly digging out. On the bright side, I am beginning to feel more confident that I can make this living situation work. Even if it is like cottage living, I know which box, or bag, I stacked all the things for my kitchen. My stove has had a thorough cleaning, (REALLYY!! How can people let appliances get that bad??) thanks to a dear friend, who came one day, bringing her gloves and cleaning paste. The washing machine has been running non-stop. I have looked through all the storage boxes, and they are now in another temporary storage area (which is very large, thanks to my forward-thinking husband) and I know where the winter-survival items are for the kit my son needs. Not only that, I have the luxury of having a rod attached to a wall in the walk-in closet so that I can hang my clothes, and not appear at work, looking like a wrinkle pup. And (this is very exciting!) the old windows were advertised, and picked up by someone who wanted to re-purpose them for a shop. Things are looking up!
The past several weeks have been filled with looking through stuff, and finding ways to deal with it. I have become the queen of re-purposing. In the old days, it used to be called 'this- old- thing?- yah,- it -will- work'. But now, the phrase has been updated to make it sound all hip. So I have been re-purposing a set of plastic drawers to act as my kitchen cabinets. I re-purposed another set of plastic drawers to hold the office supplies, since our desk is so much smaller than it was. Then I re-purposed small square containers to become a silverware holder. And so on and so forth, until I decided to re-purpose a chocolate bar which is supposed to be for the trick or treaters, to help me get through all this repurposing.
And what is it about stuff that is so attracted to the table. Things like tools, envelopes, newspapers, things to mail etc. Does the table look like flypaper ? . SHUCHHHHKKK ! That's the sound of the items adhering themselves to the table. SIGGGHHHHH. That's the sound of me looking at it and wondering to start. (Enter one more chocolate bar)
Add to that, a super-human effort to get organized for a seminar I did yesterday for a conference, and you understand why I use the word avalanche.
I am slowly digging out. On the bright side, I am beginning to feel more confident that I can make this living situation work. Even if it is like cottage living, I know which box, or bag, I stacked all the things for my kitchen. My stove has had a thorough cleaning, (REALLYY!! How can people let appliances get that bad??) thanks to a dear friend, who came one day, bringing her gloves and cleaning paste. The washing machine has been running non-stop. I have looked through all the storage boxes, and they are now in another temporary storage area (which is very large, thanks to my forward-thinking husband) and I know where the winter-survival items are for the kit my son needs. Not only that, I have the luxury of having a rod attached to a wall in the walk-in closet so that I can hang my clothes, and not appear at work, looking like a wrinkle pup. And (this is very exciting!) the old windows were advertised, and picked up by someone who wanted to re-purpose them for a shop. Things are looking up!
Comments
Enjoy your weekend "rest" and I wish you great efficiency and creativity for the next week!