Just Like Me
I said I would teach the Large Group lessons for Kindergarten and Grade Ones this year. Our church has several services. So when I teach, I do the same lesson twice - once for the early service once for the later service. This week, I was to teach about Elijah. I'm not sure who learned more -the kids or me.
I have always been a bit intimidated by Elijah. He is such a powerful figure in the Bible. He doesn't let anything get in his way.
And then, in the back of the Bible, I found a little verse in James. James is encouraging us to pray. Pray. Don't give up. He says it right out loud, when every one is nodding, but not really agreeing that prayer is paramount. He says: "When a believing person prays, great things happen. Elijah was a human person, just like us. He prayed that it wouldn't rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years. Then Elijah prayed again, and the rain came down from the sky, and the land produced crops again". (James 5:16 -17)
The line "Elijah was a human person, just like us", kept playing over and over in my head. Just like me. Just like me. Elijah was a human being, just like me. He wasn't a super hero. He was a human. Just like me.
Did he cry? Yes. Did he get discouraged? Uh huh. Did he fear for his life; wonder what the outcome of events would be? Mmm hmm. Did he know the whole story? Nope. But he carried on. And when he was at the end of his rope, guess who tied a knot for him to hang on? God did. Why did all these extraordinary things happen to Elijah? Because he had a great God.
I was reminded again, in preparing for this lesson, that I don't have be a Super Human. I actually never can be, no matter what cape I don. But I serve a great God, whose power is limitless, who never gets weary, who loves me when I am exhausted and feel utterly powerless. And when I pray, I can expect 'great things to happen'. God's got it covered.
I have always been a bit intimidated by Elijah. He is such a powerful figure in the Bible. He doesn't let anything get in his way.
- Bad behaviour? He calls it like it is.
- A widow needs daily provisions? Elijah's her man. Just make him some bread, and the oil and flour will outlast the famine.
- Trusting God to send the fire in front of hundreds of people, who are watching to see if God will show up? No problem. Elijah has the faith of the Energizer Bunny.
- He is in great shape. He runs everywhere. Miles and miles without fatigue.
- His faith is so legendary, he even shows up in the New Testament. Truly, Elijah is the go-to guy for God.
And then, in the back of the Bible, I found a little verse in James. James is encouraging us to pray. Pray. Don't give up. He says it right out loud, when every one is nodding, but not really agreeing that prayer is paramount. He says: "When a believing person prays, great things happen. Elijah was a human person, just like us. He prayed that it wouldn't rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years. Then Elijah prayed again, and the rain came down from the sky, and the land produced crops again". (James 5:16 -17)
The line "Elijah was a human person, just like us", kept playing over and over in my head. Just like me. Just like me. Elijah was a human being, just like me. He wasn't a super hero. He was a human. Just like me.
Did he cry? Yes. Did he get discouraged? Uh huh. Did he fear for his life; wonder what the outcome of events would be? Mmm hmm. Did he know the whole story? Nope. But he carried on. And when he was at the end of his rope, guess who tied a knot for him to hang on? God did. Why did all these extraordinary things happen to Elijah? Because he had a great God.
I was reminded again, in preparing for this lesson, that I don't have be a Super Human. I actually never can be, no matter what cape I don. But I serve a great God, whose power is limitless, who never gets weary, who loves me when I am exhausted and feel utterly powerless. And when I pray, I can expect 'great things to happen'. God's got it covered.
Comments
Thanks for the beautiful reminder! I feel pretty exhausted these days - good to know, that's when great things happen - and they do, they really do!