Giving Thanks #1

It's Thanksgiving time again. Yay! I have been looking forward to my little project -my "Treasures Box of Thanksgiving". I will enjoy sorting through it this week to share with you.

As I look back over this last year, I am truly amazed at the path which I have travelled. A year ago last Saturday, we got access to "The Pokeaway". And now,we are just inches away from moving in and making it 'Home Sweet Home'. Every time I am there, I love to stop and listen to the quiet. There are birds singing. There's a big toad who trys out his bass tones every once in a while. Sometimes the cows add their voice to the chorus. And the sheep let us know they don't want to be forgotten. It is one of my favorite things.

While it was hard to be thankful at the time, I am grateful that I don't have to look at other people's junk. My husband insisted we get rid of it, and that was a great decision. And although it was stressful to watch the house being torn apart, I am glad that he went ahead and did that too. There were many unsafe practices - electrical, plumbing, etc. Each demolition meant that we could put our own signature on the place. And feel more secure in the end.

I am thankful for each installation. You'd never believe how much excitment putting in a toilet brings! And I no longer have to use my cell phone light to help my husband see when he is putting in doors. Nor do we have to snake an extension cord up through the hallways in order to plug in the tools. Windows, and a roof! What luxury. And the day that I found out we were going to get drywall? I almost wept with joy! Drywall really does add skin to a house's body.

I am also very grateful for each measure of safety we have enjoyed as we've torn apart and put back together. So many, many times, I prayed earnestly as my husband hung upside down, or climbed up higher than a human being should go, or as my children pounded out walls, tossed away garbage of all sorts, as the electrical box shorted out and sparked like crazy; you know just the incidentals. And God granted safety through it.

I am thankful that soon I will have the opportunity to go through all the boxes we have in storage. I look forward to making the house into a home. I am thankful for hot and cold running water. And for the laundry tub which I will soon enjoy as I wash floors and shine up the windows, and wash the dishes. There is so much to treasure. Thank you , Thank you, Thank you, God, for the gift of "The Pokeaway".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom