"Other People"
For the past year, weekend days have been marathons of work. After ten or more months of this, I started making jokes to my #2 son about "other people". We would pass people at a park on our way to "The Pokeaway" on a Saturday morning, and I would say "Other people go to parks on Saturday". We would see a garage sale sign and I would comment "Other people go to garage sales on Saturday." We would pass cyclists on the road and I would sigh "Other people go for bike rides on a Saturday."
This weekend was an "other people" weekend. We went to a soccer game. My husband came too, rather than shooting out to "The Pokeaway". It was sunny. My son scored a goal. That meant we got to go out for lunch. We didn't go through the drive through. We went into the restaurant like "other people". Then he had a party to go to, so we went back to the farm. He got ready for the party, and I had a nap like "other people". Then just so I wouldn't forget how to work, after he was dropped off, I went and painted at "The Pokeaway" - in a leisurely way - pretending I didn't have a clue that we still have so so much to do. Then I went and picked up my son, and we came back to the farm and watched some T.V. like "other people" do.
Yesterday, I went to church. I went to the late service, and came home for lunch, and then had a very long nap, just like "other people". Then in the evening, we had our first house guests - we had run into them while out and about, and spontaneously asked if they wanted to come over. I found everything we needed to enjoy a cuppa tea around the dining room table. They brought cookies, and we sat and chatted about everything and anything just like "other people".
It was lovely. And now, I am going to go to work, having enjoyed a weekend that was just like "other people" had.
P.S. On the weekend, when I was blog surfing, I found this great quote, and it has been resonating with me, so I'll pass it onto you. No extra charge.
Why be saddled with this thing called life expectancy? Of what relevance to an individual is such a statistic? Am I to concern myself with an allotment of days I never had and was never promised? Must I check off each day of my life as if I am subtracting from this imaginary hoard? No, on the contrary, I will add each day of my life to my treasure of days lived. And with each day, my treasure will grow, not diminish.~~ Robert Brault
This weekend was an "other people" weekend. We went to a soccer game. My husband came too, rather than shooting out to "The Pokeaway". It was sunny. My son scored a goal. That meant we got to go out for lunch. We didn't go through the drive through. We went into the restaurant like "other people". Then he had a party to go to, so we went back to the farm. He got ready for the party, and I had a nap like "other people". Then just so I wouldn't forget how to work, after he was dropped off, I went and painted at "The Pokeaway" - in a leisurely way - pretending I didn't have a clue that we still have so so much to do. Then I went and picked up my son, and we came back to the farm and watched some T.V. like "other people" do.
Yesterday, I went to church. I went to the late service, and came home for lunch, and then had a very long nap, just like "other people". Then in the evening, we had our first house guests - we had run into them while out and about, and spontaneously asked if they wanted to come over. I found everything we needed to enjoy a cuppa tea around the dining room table. They brought cookies, and we sat and chatted about everything and anything just like "other people".
It was lovely. And now, I am going to go to work, having enjoyed a weekend that was just like "other people" had.
P.S. On the weekend, when I was blog surfing, I found this great quote, and it has been resonating with me, so I'll pass it onto you. No extra charge.
Why be saddled with this thing called life expectancy? Of what relevance to an individual is such a statistic? Am I to concern myself with an allotment of days I never had and was never promised? Must I check off each day of my life as if I am subtracting from this imaginary hoard? No, on the contrary, I will add each day of my life to my treasure of days lived. And with each day, my treasure will grow, not diminish.~~ Robert Brault
Comments