My Life As A Camel

One cold night, as an Arab sat in his tent, a camel gently thrust his nose under the flap and looked in. "Master," he said, "let me put my nose in your tent. It's cold and stormy out here." "By all means," said the Arab, "and welcome" as he turned over and went to sleep.
It started innocently enough. My mother-in-law called me before we moved and said "If you need a place to stay, while all that drywall is going in, please feel free to come to the farm." I kept it in the back of my mind. Close to the day of moving, I realized that option would be a good one for me. My husband was happy to stay out at The Pokeaway, but I thought better of trying to camp without a running toilet. So I just took my toothbrush with me, and arrived at the farm, thinking it would be just a night or two.
It started innocently enough. My mother-in-law called me before we moved and said "If you need a place to stay, while all that drywall is going in, please feel free to come to the farm." I kept it in the back of my mind. Close to the day of moving, I realized that option would be a good one for me. My husband was happy to stay out at The Pokeaway, but I thought better of trying to camp without a running toilet. So I just took my toothbrush with me, and arrived at the farm, thinking it would be just a night or two.

A little later the Arab awoke to find that the camel had not only put his nose in the tent but his head and neck also. The camel, who had been turning his head from side to side, said, "I will take but little more room if I place my forelegs within the tent. It is difficult standing out here." "Yes, you may put your forelegs within," said the Arab, moving a little to make room, for the tent was small.
A night or two went by, and I realized that I really should get my own deodorant, rather than raiding my daughter's supply. (She has been staying at the farm since we moved to the condo). By this time, I had a change of clothes with me - fortunately I was on holiday, so I could wear the same thing each day, and just wash it in the evening.
Finally, the camel said, "May I not stand wholly inside? I keep the tent open by standing as I do." "Yes, yes," said the Arab. "Come wholly inside. Perhaps it will be better for both of us." So the camel crowded in. The Arab with difficulty in the crowded quarters again went to sleep.
A few nights after that, my husband removed the toilet all together, so that the plumbing could be completed. He decided to come and join me at the farm. He didn't mind the cold showering outside, but no facilities was a bit more than he could bear.
And a night or two later, we got word that the drywallers would be arriving the next day. This meant we needed to get the rest of the clothes, which we had hung temporarily on a pipe, out of The Pokeaway. So we piled them all in the van, and brought them to the farm.

So far, we have been at the farm for half a month.
When he woke up the next time, he was outside in the cold and the camel had the tent to himself.
My mother-in-law may think twice the next time she picks up the phone to call me.
Comments