True Confessions
What amazes me even more is that the people in the group are all dealing with significant losses.
And yet, for the most part they accept what life has handed them and fill up their hearts with simple joys. I am always inspired by them.
I have been thinking about contentment a lot in the past several months. I have a tendency to make things or events the focal point of happiness, when really it is a decision of the heart to find contentment. Even the apostle Paul referenced this struggle: "But I said it, not because I had need, because I have learned that whatever I have will be enough for me." (Phillipians 4:11 Aramaic Bible in Plain English)
- I don't have to squeeze by the dryer to get to the laundry sink so I can wash my pots and pans
- I don't have to walk on this ship lap floor
- I have cupboards and can bring my stuff out of storage
- I don't have to fight with creepy crawly creatures coming through the floor
The fact is, (and I know this in my head) those things will not bring me happiness, nor will they make me more content with my life. Happiness and contentment come from a decision that no matter what life throws our way, contentment and joy spring from a much deeper place than what material goods and great circumstances offer.
And the fact is, I have a great life. I live better than 97% of the world. I HAVE a dishwasher. I HAVE a roof over my head and food in my belly.
I must decide every day to take this lesson to heart. And although I cannot say the same as the apostle that "I have learned" I can revise it and say
Comments
Love,
J