Research and Development


I have been researching various opportunities that might evolve into new career pathways. Doesn't that sound impressive? Simply put, I am looking for work. Let me clarify. I'm looking for more, paid work. I don't need a lot; just about five or so more hours. To date, I have been putting out feelers for more contract work, and I have done a lot of reading about all the careers I could apply for through the government "find a job" website.
Doing all this research has given me some solid ideas. I've decided I don't want to do 'in-home care', or be a dispatch operator. I'm not ready to be a line cook, and I'm not qualified to be a truck driver. I could be a monk. O.k., maybe not. [Although that was a real posting.] I'm not really interested in being a tour guide. I could possibly try my hand at 'Art Instruction'. Move over Picasso. Again, not such a good plan.
It is pretty overwhelming trying to decide what to do with the rest of your life. When I was younger, I spent some time in my aunt's hairdressing shop. I loved being there, absorbing all that went on in the shop. She let me straighten out her perm papers and put away supplies. I was quite sure I wanted to be a hairdresser through that experience.
When we flew back from Ethiopia, and were treated so well by the stewardesses (we still called them that in those days) on Luftansa airlines, I was sure that I wanted to join the ranks of those who hand out blankets, drinks, and small toys to restless children.
In my teens, I realized I couldn't be a pilot - based on the fact that I did not understand "Vectors" (not the cereal) in Physics. At one point, I decided I'd be a single missionary in South America, just to be different.
Throughout my life, I have considered various job opportunities. I was going to be an Event Planner. Then I was going to be a Personal Organizer. I even thought about opening a 'Send a Basket' business. These all went by the wayside. Life got in the way of my dreams of becoming a world-wide sensation.
Someone recently asked me point blank what my ideal job would be. I looked at him and blanked out. However, I'd have to say that my ideal job really is one where I show up for a few hours, boss other people around, go out for coffee (lots) with potential clients, and get paid a whackload of money. That might not work in today's economy.
In one interview I had for a summer job, when I was a college gal, the employer asked me what my expectations were. I blithely stated how much an hour I wanted to make, and he laughed out loud at me and said "Good luck getting that anywhere". I was a little insulted. I still took the job - even though it was minimum wage. It turned out to be a great summer. I got all kinds of benefits that weren't mentioned in the job description. So I know it's not all about money. (although that's not a bad start)
Being in this position of not having so much work, is unsettling. Part of me enjoys the quiet and solitude of the hours where I am not obligated to show up to work, and part of me feels like I'm not doing enough to hold up my end of the financial stick. When I am at home, I almost wish for a clock to punch so I can prove to no one in particular that I am being productive.
After all, there are lots of things that I can get done in these hours. And I am - I've delivered several loads of stuff to The Pokeaway, been on the phone with various companies who need to know we are moving, and cleaned out cupboards, and returned items I've found to their rightful owner. Someone has to do that. That someone now is me.

I just looked at the floor. It needs vacuuming. Guess I'd better finish this post, and get to work.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Anyone who hires you will be totally blown away at how hard you work, how organized and creative you are. You are an amazing employee...

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom