The Birthday Party

A few months ago, I was approached by the Activity Director at one of the facilities where I work to see if I would let her pass on my phone number to a resident who wanted to get in touch with me. I said yes, and shortly thereafter, I received a phone call.

"Is this Marni?" she said.
"Yes."
"Well I live at _________and I heard you play the piano. Now, I'm turning 100 and I am looking for someone to play at my party in July. I've heard you play, and I think you're quite good. Would you be willing to play? It will be from 2 - 4:30 p.m. on July 3. "

After a little thought, [How can I say no to a centenarian?] I said yes.

I had two follow-up phone calls, one from the niece and one from the birthday girl. Then earlier this week, I was given a hand-written agenda, with the parts where I was supposed to play outlined and starred in red. . The centenarian had been a school teacher. She was used to organizing people.

I ended up having the best seat in the house, even though the piano was squished into a little corner, with a big sign: "DO NOT MOVE. LEG BROKEN." From my vantage point, I got to see the piper. I actually got to hear him quite well too, since I was so close. Although it wasn't hard to hear him, in such a small hall. He played four numbers. Before today, I didn't know that the pipes have to be tuned up.




And I got to see the Tap Dancers, entertaining the crowd. They did two numbers. Several of them were in the 80's. They looked like they were having fun.



And I got to see the guest of honor share the 'cake cutting' with several people who were also celebrating anniversaries and birthdays. [her idea] The lady from the the local paper was there to document the centenarian for next week's issue.



In between all the festivities, I played the piano. I decided to be a little careful about what I played. I didn't play "When You and I Were Young Maggie", and I didn't play "When I Grow Too Old to Dream". I was a little bit cheeky though, and played "Ain't Misbehavin' " and "Ain't She Sweet". Every once in a while, I heard someone singing along. Mostly I just played as if no one was listening.

Playing background music is a little lonely. Everyone else is helping themselves to the goodies, and drinks, and visiting with people they have seen in Years!, and there you are squished in the farthest corner, with a random box of silk flowers squishing you in on the other side of the piano.

I wondered if I repeated a song, if anyone would notice. I thought of my brother who played at two of my sibling's weddings and broke into "Three Blind Mice"[ in various keys, and styles], when he thought the reception line had gone on a little long.

After a couple of hours, the hall began to clear, and it became clear that the sing-along, which the centenarian had wanted to happen, wouldn't be feasible. So I played "May the Good Lord Bless and Keep You" and made my exit quietly.

I hope the birthday girl (gal) had a good time. After all, it takes a long time to turn 100.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom